🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A preferred location search criterion would b...
Page options
matthew24857
Community Member

A preferred location search criterion would be useful

I have a few saved searches to browse ads on Upwork. They're pretty useful. Thanks for all the criteria on this system.

But I'm occasionally disappointed when I open an ad to see red exclamation points (!) next to the "Location" field under "Preferred qualifications". Red exclamation points mean I'm supposedly not qualified. They discourage me from even applying.

(What's even more disappointing is when the client is from an English-speaking Western country like the United States, my *own* country; the United Kingdom; or Australia. I can only imagine why someone from his/her *own* country would be opposed to hiring his/her fellow citizens ...)

Yes, there's a way to filter "U.S.-only" projects, but there's no way to filter "U.S.-maybe" projects, jobs that are maybe willing to hire a U.S. citizen but also not opposed to hiring anyone from anywhere.

(You might think filtering by a minimum price would help, but it depends on how large the project is. A low price for a small projects isn't necessarily a deal breaker.)

1 REPLY 1
petra_r
Community Member

Matthew C wrote:

But I'm occasionally disappointed when I open an ad to see red exclamation points (!) next to the "Location" field under "Preferred qualifications". Red exclamation points mean I'm supposedly not qualified. 

It does not say that you are not qualified. It says that you don't meet one of the preferred criteria. 

You can still apply if you are qualified. People win jobs all the time where they don't fit all the preferred criteria. I know I do.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members