Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A prospect client asked for personal info

ksoheib
Kadi S Member Since: Apr 14, 2017
1 of 4

Hello,

I have applied for a job and got a reply from the client asking for some information. Here's what he sent me:

"I will send an NDA soon, please provide me following:

-full name

-place of business

-official email address

-Your unique Identification Number: such as an ID provided by local government.

-Skype ID."

I have never signed an NDA before so I wonder if this is really ligitimate or is just a big scammer.

Thanks to all.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 4

Hi Kadi,

While some clients and freelancers agree to sign an NDA once they have an Upwork contract in place, it's not recommended to share your personal and banking information with the client.

~ Valeria
Untitled
cdayrit
Carey D Member Since: Jul 24, 2017
3 of 4

Some clients require this, but I think you should give after the client accepted your proposal and you would start working.  Ask also or make a background check of the client so that you have an idea if it's legit or a scam.

Stay safe, i have almost victimized in the past but it's only a rare incident.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 4

Kadi:

I don't necessarily think the client you describe is a scammer.

It is very possible that this is a legitimate client who wants you to sign an NDA.

Other than the government ID number, I don't think that the information the client is asking for is overly-intrusive or a security risk.

If it was me, personally, I would provide the information asked for.

Where the client asked for "a unique ID number," I would provide my public library card number. There is nothing that they could do with that which would pose a problem.

So, if I feel like this is a legitimate client, I would have no problem providing this information:

- full name: my name

- place of business: Upwork

- official email address: the email address I provide to Upwork clients (keep in mind you may use many email addresses, including one you set up specifically for communicating with clients)

- Skype ID: my Skype ID

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS