cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about job titles

subtlygold
Ace Contributor

Hello.

Recently I stumbled upon a post from a celebrity freelancer here on Upwork who said that we need to choose a job title according to the most searched/suggested terms. I tried that out and changed my job title from 'Blogger, Article Writer and Doctor-to-be' to 'Blog Writing | Article Writing | Medical Writing'. The new job title not only looks incredibly boring but it has caused a decrease in my profile view statistics as well. (I don't know for sure if it's the job title that caused the decrease but I haven't changed anything else on my profile).

What should I do? Should I stick to my original title or see how this new one plays out a bit longer? Any advice on making the title better will be highly appreciated.

Best,

Alya

5 REPLIES 5
juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru

@Alya U wrote:

Hello.

Recently I stumbled upon a post from a celebrity freelancer here on Upwork who said that we need to choose a job title according to the most searched/suggested terms. I tried that out and changed my job title from 'Blogger, Article Writer and Doctor-to-be' to 'Blog Writing | Article Writing | Medical Writing'. The new job title not only looks incredibly boring but it has caused a decrease in my profile view statistics as well. (I don't know for sure if it's the job title that caused the decrease but I haven't changed anything else on my profile).

I think that medical writing is more appropriate as a skill than as a freelancer's title.

What should I do? Should I stick to my original title or see how this new one plays out a bit longer? Any advice on making the title better will be highly appreciated.

I need to stick to my original font color.  Petra and Scott will get mad.

Best,

Alya

Thanks Juvy. I changed the title to: "Pro Blogger with expertise in Medical Writing / Article Writing", but now it seems too long! It feels like I'm trying to stuff in all of the keywords, doesn't it?

hodgesh
Community Guru

I would go with "Medical Writer." Writing includes blogs writing so you don't need "blog" in your job title.

Just 'Medical Writer'? I do write other non-medical stuff all the time as well.

researchediting
Community Guru

Alya,

Upwork search treats the contents of the (oddly named) job title as keywords in presenting results to clients. So should we.

Best,

Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS