Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about job titles

subtlygold
Ace Contributor
Alya U Member Since: Jun 11, 2017
1 of 6

Hello.

Recently I stumbled upon a post from a celebrity freelancer here on Upwork who said that we need to choose a job title according to the most searched/suggested terms. I tried that out and changed my job title from 'Blogger, Article Writer and Doctor-to-be' to 'Blog Writing | Article Writing | Medical Writing'. The new job title not only looks incredibly boring but it has caused a decrease in my profile view statistics as well. (I don't know for sure if it's the job title that caused the decrease but I haven't changed anything else on my profile).

What should I do? Should I stick to my original title or see how this new one plays out a bit longer? Any advice on making the title better will be highly appreciated.

Best,

Alya

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
2 of 6

@Alya U wrote:

Hello.

Recently I stumbled upon a post from a celebrity freelancer here on Upwork who said that we need to choose a job title according to the most searched/suggested terms. I tried that out and changed my job title from 'Blogger, Article Writer and Doctor-to-be' to 'Blog Writing | Article Writing | Medical Writing'. The new job title not only looks incredibly boring but it has caused a decrease in my profile view statistics as well. (I don't know for sure if it's the job title that caused the decrease but I haven't changed anything else on my profile).

I think that medical writing is more appropriate as a skill than as a freelancer's title.

What should I do? Should I stick to my original title or see how this new one plays out a bit longer? Any advice on making the title better will be highly appreciated.

I need to stick to my original font color.  Petra and Scott will get mad.

Best,

Alya

subtlygold
Ace Contributor
3 of 6

Thanks Juvy. I changed the title to: "Pro Blogger with expertise in Medical Writing / Article Writing", but now it seems too long! It feels like I'm trying to stuff in all of the keywords, doesn't it?

hodgesh
Community Guru
Kholleras I Member Since: Nov 24, 2015
4 of 6

I would go with "Medical Writer." Writing includes blogs writing so you don't need "blog" in your job title.

subtlygold
Ace Contributor
5 of 6

Just 'Medical Writer'? I do write other non-medical stuff all the time as well.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
6 of 6

Alya,

Upwork search treats the contents of the (oddly named) job title as keywords in presenting results to clients. So should we.

Best,

Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS