🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A refund was deducted in my account without m...
Page options
neil_sio
Community Member

A refund was deducted in my account without my knowledge.

Hi,

I had a client who has been suspended few days ago without my knowledge (no notification from upwork as far as I know) until when I tried to log hours worked, that's the only time I knew that the client was suspended.

Now the problem is, I got a message, this must be an autogenerated from upwork, that an amount of $112.00 has been deducted from my account for a refund, please see attached. I don't know but I was never informed about this refund before it was deducted or by the time this refund was initiated.

I'm a bit disappointed about this, really bothered that an amount of $112.00 was lost just like that. Also, I got disappointed because I was never notified about the client suspension (as far as I know) and about the refund before the deduction, but I got a message after the deduction has been made.

Appreciate your thoughts on this, or correct me if there's something I didn't understand well.

Thanks,

Neil

17 REPLIES 17
yesna
Community Member

Hello guys, 

I am writing the message to reqeust some help!

With the failure of the auto-tracked few weeks ago I worked on the project, directly sent the file to the client, and then added the manual time (20 mins) afterwards.

have checked today's alert on Upwork, then found out there has been 'auto-refund to the client' with the invoice although I haven't agreed with anything. 

Now, contract is placed on hold.

Please see the attached screen shot regarding the work submission & invoice. 

Could you please kindly let me know how to solve this issue? 

It is only not about the money, also it is very disappointing how I have not been noted about Refund. 

Thank you for your consideration on this issue in advance.

Kind Regards, 

Yena

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry that the refund was processed before you were notified, Yena. For more information on why the refund was processed, please refer to email sent to you.  If the contract is on hold, please do not work on any project until the limitation to the contract has already been lifted. You can communicate with your client to issue you a bonus payment for the hours that you've worked for that were refunded. 

~ Avery
Upwork
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Neilfred, 

I checked your account and can see that the team has emailed you with more information about this refund. Please refer to this support ticket for more information about the reversal. 

I'm sorry to learn that the refund was initiated first before an email was sent. I'll make sure to send this as a feedback to the team for their consideration. 

~ Avery
Upwork
neil_sio
Community Member

Hi Avery,

Thanks for the quick reply, appreciated it, and I got the email just now.

However, I have three things to point out.

1. So in other words, upwork is getting the money back from me that's supposed to be mine just because of the failure of others (my client)? I'm not sure but I think that seems not right and fair, I'm already expecting that since it already passed the review period. And what will happen to those hours I already worked, it goes to nothing?

2. I didn't receive any notice that my client is under investigation and suspended, I'm not aware of it until I tried to log my hours worked (I failed to log). If I was just notified right away about this I would pause working on his project and I would not lose another 20hrs.

3. Now, knowing that upwork is deducting me $112.00 and I was not able to log 20 hours worked, is very frustrating. 

Hope upwork can do something about this in my favor.

Thank you for attending my concern.

Regards,

Neil

Ps: I would like to suggest that Upwork should always make sure that the concerned party(ies) is notified about any changes about the contract or anything similar, not just thru email, because sometimes email failed, but also in the upwork messaging/chat room. Thanks.

petra_r
Community Member

@Neilfred S wrote:

1. So in other words, upwork is getting the money back from me that's supposed to be mine just because of the failure of others (my client)?

Ultimately the client failed to pay and your hours didn't qualify for protection (if they had qualified, Upwork would have paid you out of their own pocket.)

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Neilfred, 

I know that this can be frustrating. Borrowing from Valeria's note on another similar thread, please note that in case the client fails to pay for the hours that you have logged, any hours that do not meet the requiremenst of the Upwork Payment Protection will be reversed. You have the option of communicating directly with your client to request for a bonus payment for the hours that were reversed. 

Please also know that once the system finds any issue with your contract, or your client's account, it is the only time that the contract will be paused, and you will be notified. Just the same, I will forward your suggestion to the team for their consideration. 

Ps: I would like to suggest that Upwork should always make sure that the concerned party(ies) is notified about any changes about the contract or anything similar, not just thru email, because sometimes email failed, but also in the upwork messaging/chat room. Thanks.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi Avery, 

I hope you're well. 

I have the same issue with Neilfred. However, I was notified that the contract was placed on hold then Upwork released a refund without my knowledge. 

Hope you can help me. 

Thank you, 

Christine

Hi Christine Merle,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork
rnpa001
Community Member

Hi Joanne,

I have the same issue as Christine, I was notified that the contract was placed on hold then Upwork released a refund without me knowing, can you help?

re: "I have the same issue as Christine, I was notified that the contract was placed on hold then Upwork released a refund without me knowing, can you help?"

Was it for an hourly contract?

Did you log time, but not qualify for Upwork Payment Protection?

It was for an hourly contract, i logged time with to do's and notified the client when it was done and submitted drafts to her. 

I am unsure on what the "quality" is when logging time.  

re: "I am unsure on what the 'quality' is when logging time."

Sorry about that typo.

The word is "qualify".

Did you qualifyfor Upwork Payment Protection by:

- using the desktop time-tracker (not manually-logged time)

- adequate written memos

- sufficient mouse/keyboard activity

- screenshots show you were working on the client's project

Ahh, i see now.

I wrote what i thought were adequate memo's and the client responded to them and was happy with my updates. 

I did not use the desktop tracker though, i added the time manually. 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Levan,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket and email as soon as possible with more details and will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

Great, thank you. 

re: "I wrote what i thought were adequate memo's and the client responded to them and was happy with my updates."

Your memos were fine.

Don't worry about the memos.

re: "I did not use the desktop tracker though, I added the time manually."

Yeah, that's the problem.

If you had used the desktop time-tracker, Upwork would have paid you out of its own pocket even if the client's credit card was fraudulent or otherwise couldn't be charged.

But because the time was logged manually:

The money is gone permanently.

Sorry.

Obviously not good news, but thank you for your help. It is appreciated. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths