🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » A request for a refund, but there are no fund...
Page options
larsen_lily
Community Member

A request for a refund, but there are no funds

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know what's the best course of action in the following situation: I had the fixed price contract, the job was done file sent to the client. Got an approval, and they promised to pay me, the only problem is that the payment method wasn't verified yet. We even briefly discussed future collaboration. There were no signs' something went wrong in terms of the client's satisfaction with my work. I've been waiting for the payment because I know verification can take some time.

Today I got a notification of the refund request and the contact has been closed by the client. Now I know this happens automatically and the client didn't actually ask for the refund. What's even more bizarre is there are no funds, to begin with.

The question is: should I agree to give a refund even though I provided the file or should I open a dispute? Honestly, I'm okay with not getting the money in this case (it wasn't a lot tbh), but I'm worried about JSS.

Thank you in advance!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

You can't file a dispute as the client's payment method was not verified so you can never, ever, get that money unless the card is verified. You should not have worked on that contract at all until the client's payment method was verified.

So the only thing you can do now is approve the return of the escrow funds (unless the client verifies their payment method and pays you.)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

You can't file a dispute as the client's payment method was not verified so you can never, ever, get that money unless the card is verified. You should not have worked on that contract at all until the client's payment method was verified.

So the only thing you can do now is approve the return of the escrow funds (unless the client verifies their payment method and pays you.)

Thank you so much!

Accepting a contract and then getting paid nothing will negatively impact your JSS, though.

Christine A wrote:

Accepting a contract and then getting paid nothing will negatively impact your JSS, though.

The client will have been suspended when they failed to verify their credit card, and contracts with suspended clients are excluded from the JSS calculation.

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

The client will have been suspended when they failed to verify their credit card, and contracts with suspended clients are excluded from the JSS calculation.

Ah, okay - good to know.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members