🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: A review after the refund has been issued
Page options
michal-wor
Community Member

A review after the refund has been issued

The client ended up the contract and issued a full refund. Next to the feedback, there's a "N/A". 

Would be grateful if you could tell me if:

1. The feedback is currently "N/A" - does it mean the client gave the feedback or it's ungiven yet?

2. We agreed upon no review if I refund the full amount. Will the client still be able to leave a review, if the full amount is refunded?  Also, will this be visible to others? 

I haven't described the whole situation/project, because it's not necessary. 

Thanks in advance for any replies! 

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Michal M wrote:

2. We agreed upon no review if I refund the full amount.  

This is called feedback manipulation and is a violation of Upwork's terms of service.

If the client closed the contract, they have already left feedback.

If you have refunded in full, no public feedback will be visible on your profile, but the private feedback will count towards your metrics (JSS).

Well, that was his proposition. And apparently, he lied about not leaving a review anyway 

Michal M wrote:

Well, that was his proposition. And apparently, he lied about not leaving a review anyway 

Who ended the contract? You or the client? If the client ended the contract, there is no way to have done so without leaving (private) feedback at least.

It really doesn't matter whose proposition it was. It does not makes it any more OK.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Michal,

Please note that both public star rating and private feedback are included in JSS calculation and may cause the score to change. While the parties won't be able to provide public feedback on a contract that didn't have any payments, they can still provide private feedback. If the client provides positive private feedback on a contract with no earnings, that contract will be excluded from JSS. If the client specifies in their feedback that the contract had a negative outcome, that will be counted in the score. Here is the help article for more information.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It sounds like your client tricked you into working for free. It's a shame that you agreed to it - especially since the client might have left you bad feedback anyway - your profile is impressive and you have loads of good reviews, so one bad one wouldn't have hurt you that much. You should only give refunds if you feel like you didn't complete the work properly and/or on time, and never because a client manipulates you.

You might want to politely let your client know that since he didn't pay you anything, he cannot use any part of the work that you did.

I agree - it's totally my fault I didn't check his reviews - most of them are bad. 

Nevertheless, seems like you're experienced with the UpWork ToS and similar. If you knew some answers, I would greatly appreciate them:

1. I raised a dispute. Is there a possibility, the UpWork will stand on my or clients side and release the funds to one of the sides? 

2. If the client has a bad track record, does his feedback (in this case a bad one) matter less? 

Michal M wrote:

1. I raised a dispute. Is there a possibility, the UpWork will stand on my or clients side and release the funds to one of the sides? 

2. If the client has a bad track record, does his feedback (in this case a bad one) matter less? 

1. I thought you said that you already gave a full refund? If there's no longer any money in the escrow account, then there's nothing to dispute.

2. His feedback might not count if he has a history of leaving bad feedback for all, or most, of his freelancers. But I can't tell you that for certain.

16239d89
Community Member

A client issues a false negative feedback affecting my account, He was trying to get out of not paying for services rendered. I issued a refund on the money he owed from last weeks work. However, his feedback is still visible on my account. How long until its taken down? Considering the refund was issued. 

If the refund does not represent the full amount of the project, the public feedback remains on the profile as there are earnings for the project. Private feedback will impact your JSS  even when public feedback is removed. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths