🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: A scam from a company called Round the Cl...
Page options
shruthi-ramesh
Community Member

A scam from a company called Edited

I wanted to get some guidance from the community. After getting EAD, I used Upwork.com for sending job proposals. I got an offer from a company called "Round The Clock". After they contacted me on UpWork, their job notification got deleted. Later, I got in touch with them over Google Hangouts and went through an interview. I ended up providing my state ID copy, personal information, educational details and employment history. I also signed an employment letter. However, after some more chatting, I could sense that this is a scam as they were asking me to purchase multiple stuff from some vendors. And hence we decided not to proceed. 
However, I am concerned whether all the information I have given can be misused. Would you be able to guide us on what to do ? I am new to US and not aware of anybody with a legal background.

Kindly advise us if some action is required from our side in addition to deciding not to proceed with this project. 
7 REPLIES 7
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Shruthi,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I've checked and the job you're referring to has been taken down because it was in violation of Upwork TOS and action has been taken on the client account. 

Please, check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option found on each job post or message to report any suspicious or inappropriate content. Also, check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

Please, be careful not to share any private or sensitive information with clients on Upwork. All the information needed to hire and pay you via Upwork is available on your profile. We'd also like to use this opportunity to remind that offering and accepting payments off Upwork is a violation of Upwork ToS. Upwork requires all payments to go through our platform and offers Upwork Payment Protection for both hourly and fixed-price contracts.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you Bojan. Really helpful.

Is there something which can be done to ensure that the information already shared is not misused. 

43744e37
Community Member

I just received a message from them as well for the following job:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

This was the email I received from them:
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

They asked me to do the interview via chat, so I blocked "Patricia" as it seemed to be a scam.

Good catch. Be sure to use the "flag as inappropriate" link on the original job post so that Upwork can take down the job and refund connects.

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for reporting this to us. I checked the job you are referring to and it looks like it's already been canceled for violating Upwork TOS. You'll notice that the Message room with the client has also been archived. Please, check out the tips in this post to make sure you stay safe and protected while working on Upwork.

Also, please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option to report any inappropriate content.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

It's still going on. I just got one, fyi.

James B wrote:
It's still going on. I just got one, fyi.

It's been going on for a dozen years and will continue going for as long as people don't grow common sense.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members