cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A serious request to Upwork

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
1 of 8

I know this topic has been covered over and over again, but here is my request. Upwork please could you ensure that clients write their job offers professionally. It is quite infuriating to see this sort of post. Editor wanted. Writer wanted and so forth. But one I have seen today, is ridiculous. The client is looking for a translator for two days at an exhibition. The language is not specified, the exhibtion is not specified and the country/town is not specified. How can one even begin to formulate a proposal with this sort of offer? There are already two freelancers who have wasted their connects by replying.

I know that there will be a lot of replies saying - ignore it and move on - I do, but it makes the site look so amateurish and slovenly, and it is also disrespectful of the freelancers who work from here.

(Suffice it to say the 'client' wanted to pay $20 for the job. I have reported it as spam - but I bet it doesn't get delisted) 

Wasn't there once a drop-down menu where one could give feedback on this sort of job?

Larry T Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
2 of 8

I could not agree more!!

I have a search that is "voice" centric.   The results often are so vague it is impossible to risk using connections for a bid.

While I'm  on my soapbox, let me vet a moment on the lack of reasonable  filters regarding jobs.  I am a MALE, who speaks North American ENGLISH.  I do VOICE work.  Yet...every hour I get a ton of job search results looking for someone speaking Hindi, German, etc for females, or those who are virtual assistants, create videos, designing logos...and the list goes on and on.  I would love to see the author required to use a check box process to narrow the field regarding options, thus the results.  BTW, the seach results shown above are derived by using a search with one skill ckecked.

Thanks you. I feel better. :-)

Larry

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
3 of 8
@ Nichola, @ Larry

This request has been falling, is falling, and will continue to fall on dear ears. That is even more frustrating than the jobs posts.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Abdul R Member Since: Dec 4, 2014
4 of 8

Hello NIchola, 

Try to sort your bids you are going to apply. Leave these types of jobs. 

Pick the one that has feedbacks in their profiles. 

Best Regards

Abdulrazaq

Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
5 of 8

I am actually quite curious about how that whole feedback on job posting experiment turned out. Unfortunately that rating option wasn't available for me (I think I would have had quite some fun with it).

I agree that job posters should be educated or prompted to enter more information. Word count for instance for anything related to translating, editing, proofing. Just yesterday I applied for a project that actually sounded interesting (few do and I only apply once or twice a week now). Description said "mostly single words and a few sentences", budget $20. So I ask for the file, got a spreadsheet, counted manually (because I just can't figure out how to do word count in excel, my bad) and it turns out it's 2.5k words. So of course I adjust my bid to $100 and of course never hear from the client again. This time wasting (I don't even care much about connects) on both ends could be stopped if better descriptions, actual word counts and other information was somehow mandatory.

I also think with the possible feedback system on job posts, posters would be forced to re-think their posting after they have received a friendly worded email telling them that so far 48 of 50 people found their posting uninteresting because of a too vague job description (that's how this feature would work in my dream world).

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
6 of 8

The same applies to editing and proofreading. They should be made to state the wordcount in every case.

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
7 of 8
Word count, type of editing required, turnaround time... etc.
Community Guru
Santiago G Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
8 of 8

@ Nichola

Wasn't there supposed to be someone or something "reviewing" job posts?? I know I saw mentions of it in various other topics. The main hope WAS that the reviewing went beyond "Yup, it's posted..... next. Yup, that one is posted too.....next. My job is so easy!!".

And yes, there was an option to give feedback on a job post. I don't know what all happened to it other than it wasn't working in Firefox initially. Beyond that, I'm pretty sure it didn't amount to much of anything. Clearly the wreckage known as the current job posts continues.

But it seems you missed one of the more "popular" job posts. That would be other freelancers with a client account posting jobs in the effort of trying to get themselves hired!! I spotted another one a day or two ago. "I do .... this and this and some of that too..... talk to/hire me". Literally that person was trying to GET a job in this manner. Come to think of it, I wonder if that actually works?!! hahahahahahaha

@ Upwork

There seems to be a LOT of questions about the "quality control" you all mention so many times. The most common being "is anything going to be done about it?". I'd like to see a NON VAGUE answer to that one.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS