cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A small heads-up

colettelewis
Community Guru

Some months ago, when Upwork was still oDesk, I was invited by a (rival) company, Digiserved, to sign up with them, with wording that implied that oDesk was in the know. Almost immediately, I received a disclaimer from oDesk.

I received another email from them today, and I do not think they seem very ethical. They claim that they can swing your whole profile (and feedback) over to their site. What is worrying, if they have access to one's profile, this would be a perfect place from which to do a little profile stealing. Their fees are high, once all the hidden factors are taken into account. 

8 REPLIES 8

Yes, a little digging into their website details should discourage anyone.

I've been getting emails from there every now and then. I just got another one today where they offered to drop all fees for the rest of the year.

I am mildly interested since I'm always looking for new opportunities but there are a few too many warning signs with this site. I didn't like how they made the first email look like it came from oDesk and the picture that is used in the email (supposedly the picture of the woman who sent the email) is a stock photo that shows up in a number of sites.

If anybody has actually used the site, I'd love to hear about it.

I wouldn't touch it. See the scamadvisor link that Irene added.

"The website has been newly registered with a short life expectancy, which follows the pattern used by many fraudulent and fake selling websites."

They have hidden their real location and the five-star reviews look fake to me (and there are not enough of them, good or bad).

Edited to add: I've just seen that they are not entirely hidden, but operate from Greece  and real pics. of the team are included. All the same, they shouldn't use other sites to cherry pick.

@Nichola L wrote:

Edited to add: I've just seen that they are not entirely hidden, but operate from Greece  and real pics. of the team are included. All the same, they shouldn't use other sites to cherry pick.

I still find it strange that the picture they attached to the email (supposedly of the woman who sent the email) is a stock photo. That makes me question their honesty to some extent.

I know a lot of sites use stock photos of people either pretending the person in the photo is part of the company or has just sent in a fabulous review, but it makes me worry a bit. Someone here mentioned tineye a long time ago and now whenever I see someone's image in a business mail, I search for it to see if it's a real photo or a stock photo.

menikhildesai
Community Guru

Hi Nichola,

Thanks for the heads up. I am trying to keep my options open and may have fallen for this scam, had it not been for this post. 

On a lighter note:

Once someone falls a victim to their schemes, they may be sending him/ her a follow-up email saying, "You got Digi-served!!" 😄

I have looked into this site a little further, and I think it is a genuine start up and not a scam as I first thought, (Although I still think that touting for freelancers on someone else's site is unethical).

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Nichola,

Thank you for the heads-up, I'll forward your report to the team to make sure they are aware. Please, always follow advice provided by Garnor on this thread and never click on suspicious links or share your login credentials with anybody.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS