cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A suggestion about commission only projects

m_smetzer
Melinda S Member Since: May 16, 2017
1 of 7

I really wish Upwork would come up with a separate catagory for commission only projects. To me it doesn't really fit into the "fixed price" arena, and it's definitely not hourly.  I am not opposed to doing fixed price project and I love my hourly clients, however, I really hate getting invited to interview for commission only gigs, which seems to be a lot of what I have been getting lately.

Or, it would be nice to have the option to decline based on that, instead of having to click other and then specifically writing that I do not do these types of jobs.

I know some people find them very lucrative, however for me, I find it too risky. There is no way we can have protection on a commission only job and be able to "Prove" our work to get payment when it it set up as a fixed price. 

Any thoughts on this?

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 7

Melinda, why not give "Not interested..." as the reason for declining? That's what I usually do and while it may not be the sole reason I'm declining, it's usually one of the reasons. 

3 of 7

Often times, the work itself I find interesting, it's the pay structure I am not comfortable with. 

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 7

I think finding a job interesting is not necessarily the same as being interested in doing the job. Police work for example is interesting -- why else are there so many shows, movies, and books based on it -- but wanting to do it is something else. But anyway, I suppose for the time being you'll have to choose "other" and perhaps copy/paste "I do not work for commissions."

5 of 7

I guess maybe I should have worded my response to you a bit differently.  So, let me try this again... I don't feel the "not interested in work as described" option fits in most cases due to the fact that I would be interested in doing the work, had it not been offered on a commission only basis.  I for one have found over the last 12 years of working remotely that commission work is very difficult to track and prove, and often times leaves people putting in a lot of hours to not get paid at all.

I feel there should be a separate bidding structure for these jobs, as well as the option to opt out of receiving interview invites for those type of jobs.

catthu_ng
Upwork Staff
Cat Thu N Upwork Staff Member Since: Aug 1, 2017
6 of 7

Hi Melinda,

Can you clarify what you meant by "comission projects," and how do you envision it could work? In what way would it be different from fixed price or hourly projects?

Thank you!

Cat

---
Cat Thu Nguyen-Huu | Design Researcher at Upwork
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
7 of 7

Melinda, commission ONLY jobs are not allowed on Upwork. Perhaps instead of looking for the right way to decline those jobs, you could report them.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS