🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: ABN on the invoice - Australia
Page options
0fb1136c
Community Member

ABN on the invoice - Australia

Hi!

I have ABN number and I'm NOT registered for GST (which you only need to be registered for if you earn AU$70K+). There is no way I can add my ABN number to my tax information without registering for GST, what I won't do. The problem is I need to have ABN on any earnings records for the ATO so it has to be visible on the invoice. Please help.

Regards,

Kasper

7 REPLIES 7
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Kasper,

We understand that you may not be required to register for GST for the purposes of your freelance business. However, to comply with the new Australian laws, Upwork has to collect GST on the services we provide. (This means the 10% tax will apply to applicable Upwork fees, including the sliding service fee you pay when you earn on Upwork, the fee you pay for a Freelancer Plus membership (if you have one), and the cost of purchasing additional Connects.) The only way for us to confirm whether someone is a taxable person (i.e. a consumer) for GST purposes is for us to (i) collect an ABN and (ii) for that person to acknowledge they are registered for GST. This tax is separate from the services you provide to your clients.

You can add your 11-digit ABN and confirm that you are registered for GST by going to Settings  Tax Information. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran,

So basically, I can't provide my ABN and make it visible on the invoice if I don't register for GST? 

If I do issue an invoice without an ABN, the entity paying the invoice by law is required to withhold tax from my payment at the maximum tax rate and forward it to the ATO. Obviously I don’t want maximum tax rate withheld from my payment.

Hi Kasper,

Tax will apply to applicable Upwork fees, including the sliding service fee you pay when you earn on Upwork, and not on your earnings. 
Please consult your tax advisor to determine your GST obligations. To learn more about registering for GST, you can visit the Australian Taxation Office site. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hey Kasper,

did you ever get to the bottom of this? I'm new to UpWork and am struggling to figure out how to get my money out of there. id like to register an ABN which will make it easier at tax time, but I don't need to register for GST. how did you end up doing it? otherwise I think they just deposit it into your bank account but there's no legit way to figure out your income tax?

hopefully you can help me

thanks, Caitlin 🙂

Hi Kasper,

Did you find out the answer? I am on the same boat and would be interested to find out, too.

Thank you 🙂

03e7c2d8
Community Member

Hi all, I would be very interested to know the outcome of this! Same issue here. Thank you!

f2da2d2b
Community Member

Hey everyone, have you worked out how to proceed with the ABN and GST registration? Trying to figure that out as well.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths