Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: ACADEMIC FRAUD --- Allowed?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark K Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
1 of 25

Is academic fraud (do this assignment for me --- NOT help me understand and tutor me) allowed on Upwork -- I've been invited to THREE such fraud jobs in two days.

Really - is it allowed????

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
2 of 25

It is absolutely not allowed and should be reported to Upwork. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
3 of 25

@Mark K wrote:

Is academic fraud (do this assignment for me --- NOT help me understand and tutor me) allowed on Upwork -- I've been invited to THREE such fraud jobs in two days.

Really - is it allowed????

Of course not, that should be a no-brainer. I hope you flagged all those job posts. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 25

Mark:

Upwork has clear rules in its ToS about academic fraud.

And yet... you were invited to such jobs. Is that even possible?

Yes.

Because Upwork is simply a website, and its operations are based on computer code. That's it. It is impossible for Upwork or any other website to understand everything that users post and to monitor (and understand) all communications that take place between clients and freelancers.

The truth is - whether you like it or not - FREELANCERS such as yourself are the primary line of defense against jobs that violate Upwork ToS.

You may report such jobs to Upwork by flagging inappropriate job posts. But it is impossible for Upwork or any other website to completely prevent all inappropriate posts or all inappropriate behavior from its users.

One thing that you CAN guarantee - regardless of the technological limitations of the platform - that you personally do not allow jobs that violate Upwork ToS (academic fraud or otherwise).

Highlighted
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
5 of 25

I have stopped reporting these jobs/clients, since nothing is done about it- at least not as far as I can tell. However, I have taken to trying to identify the institution, and reporting the matter to it directly. In fact, I have a growing number of thank you notes from universities and colleges in several countries. 

Sadly though, it is not always possible to identify the insitution involved, but the trouble in trying to is well worth the satisfaction of reporting it directly.  

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 25

@Reinier B wrote:

I have stopped reporting these jobs/clients, since nothing is done about it- at least not as far as I can tell. However, I have taken to trying to identify the institution, and reporting the matter to it directly. In fact, I have a growing number of thank you notes from universities and colleges in several countries. 

Sadly though, it is not always possible to identify the insitution involved, but the trouble in trying to is well worth the satisfaction of reporting it directly.  

As Reinier says, it's the only way to go, if one has the details. 

While academic fraud is IMO a complete no-no - Upwork's attitude to cheating is ambiguous. According to the ToS it is not allowed. If a client, who is clearly an essay mill and making a lot of money for Upwork, then lip service is paid to the official party line, but not actually observed. . I have reported so many of these jobs that are sometimes delisted, but which are immediately reposted and couched in different terms by the client. I have also given up reporting them. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
7 of 25

Supposedly it isn't allowed according to the ToS. In the past I've found that Trust & Security is really bad at responding to complaints. Possibly they've gotten better, but they seem to need a smoking gun and about 12 dead bodies before they'll even think about looking at it (I once found an FL who appeared to have made around $20 000 doing other people's homework -- presumably he was farming these jobs out as well). In the past, I found that trying to report them was time consuming and that the agents used to come back to me with comments such as "No, this is just someone asking for help with their homework." For a while it seemed to be getting better and some of the postings were taken down. However, many slightly reworded versions went up just as quickly. 

The best you can do at times is to flag these (and it's the least time consuming option). There's a flagging option at the top right corner of the job posting. I just go down to "It's something else." And then I fill in the box with a list of the red flags and smoking guns.

On occasion if the request is especially shady, I've messaged one of the moderators. For instance, someone once sent me a full chapter of someone else's published academic thesis and asked me to rewrite it while maintaining the same ideas. This is a copyright violation and is therefore a legal issue in some jurisdictions. The poetic justice part of this one was that the freelancer who was hired to do the rewrite apparently lied about having done a masters degree at Stanford. Smiley LOL

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 25

Renata,

This can be a real toilet bowl ---

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 25

Hi Mark, 

I checked your account but was only able to identify one job post. I can confirm that actions have been taken against the job post.

If you still have the links to the other job posts, please send it to me through a private message so that I can follow up on your report.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 25

Avery,

Did you also notice that the client had hired 3 other times  - for the same type of, apparently, disallowed projects? 

Did you delete its account to prevent it from occuring again?

Mark

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS