Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACADEMIC FRAUD --- Allowed?

Community Guru
Mark K Member Since: Jul 7, 2016
11 of 25

Avery,

If you look at this job posting (which in fairness is "no longer avaiable" thank you for taking action), you will notice the other jobs -- AND freelancers who violated TOS -- any actions there? 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 25

Hmm - the client, who I have seen before, states Singapore with a UK time. Don't you just love truthful clients?  He will be back. 

On this particular job - I can only see two freelancers: one who appears to be in London, Egypt (Geography and truthfulness obviously not his strong point), and the other who is in UK and does not appear to have any qualms about cheating. He is also top rated. 

We have all tried Mark - but nothing will happen. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 25

Hi Mark,

We won't be able to share more information about another account's status and about our internal processes. We do appreciate your reporting jobs so Upwork team can review and take actions.

Thanks.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
14 of 25

Posted today, 11.13.18

"The paper should be at least 20 pages and reference at least 20 academic sources. Aside from this project proposal and the more procedural details (i.e. APA citation style, etc.), the freelancer who takes up this project will have significant discretion."

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
15 of 25

Hi Mark,

Thank you for reporting, our team is looking into this and will take action as per our internal processes.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Guru
16 of 25

To those who respond "No, Duh"... you do realize, don't you, that this is absolutely rampant on Upwork.  Further, this particular "person" had hired 3 other freelancers in the past - to complete assignments.

This seems to come mostly from the UK, I think perhaps London business schools, idk. 

I report it --- it is rarely deleted -- despite Avery's apparent actions.

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
17 of 25

@Mark K wrote:

To those who respond "No, Duh"... you do realize, don't you, that this is absolutely rampant on Upwork.  Further, this particular "person" had hired 3 other freelancers in the past - to complete assignments.

The original question was "is it allowed". The response is easy as the ToS say "no". If the question was "how can UW do a better job of eliminating these" then you would have gotten different answers. Perhaps your initial question was to ask that but you decided to be sarcastic. Not a mind reader.  A better post would have been a statement that UW is not doing a good job here and is not responding forcefully enough, etc. Very valid question. That though was not the question asked in the original post. 

Ace Contributor
Kendra B Member Since: Sep 25, 2018
18 of 25

I've been solicited by people who want me to do their work, too. I think it's mostly marked by unrealistic expectations and hurried deadlines. If someone wants you to write them a 5,000 page research paper "by tomorrow" or "in the next few hours," and they contribute ZERO of their own understanding / research to the assignment, forget it. It's a scam; end the contract, get out, and report them! 

I'm glad to hear that this is against the TOS; now I don't have to feel bad about ending a stupid scam contract if I'm ever offered one. 

Community Guru
19 of 25

Scott,

For those of us with a modicum of common sense, the original question is obviously soliciting more than a Yes/No answer. 

Noodge!!!

Louise C Member Since: Dec 9, 2019
20 of 25

I just joined Upwork and have been invited to do such work also – and, for a PhD Smiley Surprised As someone who has just entered the freelance space from academia including teaching, I'm shocked.  This is a very serious issue that I hope Upwork takes responsibility and action for, beyond the token gesture.  Not everyone will turn these jobs down, or report them, though I'm glad to find this thread and know that some of the community here do take it seriously.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS