Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: About Those Google Hangout Scams

kimberlygedeon
Kimberly G Member Since: Jan 26, 2017
1 of 7

Hey guys,

For anyone familiar with those Google Hangout scams, can you enlighten me on some parts of this scheme that I can't quite wrap my head around?

So we all know the script, right? Scammer gets Upwork freelancer to do a Google chat interview, offers a too-good-to-be-true salary, sends a fraudulent check, and then expects victims to wire the phantom money to a "certified vendor" (their own account) for "software", and the con artist scurries away with the cash into the internet abyss - ne'er to be found.

Also, in reading about the scams here on Upwork, the con artists usually ask the victims to wire the money to them through Western Union. I'm assuming the scammer still finds a way to conceal his identity as he receives money through Western Union - how does he do this?

And many of these scammers are outside of the United States, and yet are able to send fake checks to U.S. residents overnight. For example, with one scammer, I saw that his Upwork profile shows that he's in Europe (CET time zone), and yet, he claims to be from the U.S. So I wonder, are they in "cahoots" with people in the states to ship off these fake checks?

Don't they end up losing money, in the end, when investing in these scams (paying for overnight FedEx shipping, for example) once the freelancer realizes something is off?

Inquiring minds ...

jmccpa
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
2 of 7

Kimberly,

Based on a Post on this Community a few days ago, all they need is one victim from whom to steal $2,000 (as she paid them) and they can cover a lot of Fed Ex bills and come out way ahead.

Joe

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
3 of 7

Also, based on something I read today, although the scammer was overseas, the fake checks were sent from the US.  I suspect that there is quite a large network of scammers.

kimberlygedeon
4 of 7

Thanks for the reply Mary. That definitely seems plausible.

Do you happen to remember where you may have read this info?

kimberlygedeon
5 of 7

Yikes! I guess there's a lot more people falling for this stuff than I thought.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 7

@Kimberly G wrote:

Yikes! I guess there's a lot more people falling for this stuff than I thought.

Check scams 

" A Consumer Federation of America survey estimates that 1.3 million Americans have been the victim of a fake check scam, with an average loss of $3,000 to $4,000 per consumer."

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 7

You have to remember that for many of these people, scamming is literally their job. They go to an office building and sit down in a cubicle farm with a hundred other scammers and scam people all day. It only takes on big hit to pay their bills for months. It's only a matter of time and patience for them.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS