cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About changing name

muntakim_m
Muntakim M Member Since: Apr 26, 2013
1 of 18
Hello, please help me, How can I change my name.I gave my neck name because i thought name is changabale.
junelle
Community Guru
Junelle A Member Since: May 31, 2009
2 of 18
you'll need to contact support directly. submit a ticket or use live chat.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
Try harder, or care less.
asajid
Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
3 of 18
Hello Muntakim, You'll need to contact Customer Support for this. You'll be asked to verify your identity as well. More details regarding how to get verified and what documents you will need here. Make sure you have all the documents ready before you apply for the change/verification. You can change your name only once. You need to use your legal name, with the exact spelling as it appears on your National ID / bank account title. If your bank details and oDesk profile name don't match , you won't be able to withdraw your funds.
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
rosstephanie33
Stephanie N Member Since: Dec 16, 2012
4 of 18
Hi. Does anybody have similar request as mine? I edited my name on the settings of oDesk to my married name. After clicking Update button, my name wasn't changed yet and there's a pop up note saying "Your name change request is under review. Your request will be processed within 48 hours. Please review identity policy". But now, it's already over 48 hours of waiting oDesk for the update of my married name. Please help me what to do in order to expedite the update of my name. Thank you very much. Stephanie Rosales Nuevo
stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 18
Wait a bit longer...nothing on oDesk happens before it says it will, and most things take longer than they are supposed to. I'd give it a couple more days before following up
asajid
Ayesha S Member Since: Nov 22, 2009
6 of 18
Hi Stephanie, Generally, the rules for a name change are that: i. You can do it only once ii. It has to be your legal name (as it appears on your bank account title). iii. You need to verify identity. If the review team thinks you need to verify your ID, you'll be notified.
oDesk Forum Moderator Always reach for the skies, for even if you fall, you'll still be on the top of the world...
d_sirack
Dmytro S Member Since: Jul 26, 2013
7 of 18
Hi! I have a similar problem! I've been waiting 17 days! Patience is running out. Support for other than "wait, we have difficulties," can not say anything.
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 18

Yeah... this is another on of those things where users bring the wrong set of expectations to oDesk.

I see contractors who come here and their thinking seems to be along these lines:

"Oh, oDesk is a website. So... It's like MySpace or Instagram or Facebook or Craig's List. Or a dating site or something. I can use whatever name I want and post whatever picture I want. My name is Spicy Meetball and I'll post a photo of a plate of spaghetti and say that's me. Obviously that's not my face, it's my avatar, but I think that's cute. And I'll say I live in Antarctica. I'm a snow elf. I like long walks on the beach."

No, people. This isn't Facebook. You can't just post whatever you want and have 10 accounts and change your identity whenever you feel like it.

This is business. It's not entertainment. If you love work, that's great. I hope you love your work. But this is a site for conducting real business. It's not fantasy football. This is not intended to be a "fun" website.

Think of oDesk as an online version of your real world workplace.

In the real world of business, you don't change your name whenever you like.

You don't tell your co-workers or boss to start calling you by some made up name one week (even a nickname) and then another name the next week, and expect then to take you seriously and get your paychecks made out to the right person or submitted to the right bank account.

Does this mean you need to use your REAL birthname on oDesk? Of course not. (You know "Marilyn Monroe" wasn't her real name, right?) But if you're not going to use your birth certificate name, then use a professional name that is a legal name which you have a legitimate bank account set up for. It will drive oDesk nuts if you tell them your name is one thing and ask them to transfer money to a bank account which has a totally different name, so don't do it.

dev_alvi
Ace Contributor
Md. Mostafizur R Member Since: Mar 18, 2016
9 of 18

===============================================
In reply of Mr. Preston
Yeah... this is another..... wrong set of expectations to oDesk.
Oh, oDesk is a website ...... No, people. This isn't Facebook. You can't.....change your identity whenever you feel like it.

Think of oDesk as an online version of your real world workplace.

In the real world of business, you don't change your name whenever you like.
-----------------

You don't tell your co-workers or boss to start calling you by some made up name one week (even a nickname) and then another name the next week, and expect then to take you seriously...........
====================================================
Hi there,
First of all, I would like to thank a lot to Mr. Preston for his valuable precise writing. I am sure new freelancers who have that wrong expectation (In terms of changing their Name now and then) already got the points and will never want to change their Name unnecessarily.

Off-topic: But now I would like to make a little fun with Mr. Preston. Dear Preston, you still didn't forget the name oDesk, is that mean you don't take the Name Upwork seriously? :-)

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 18

Hi Md. Mostafizur,

I don't want to ruin all the fun but please check the date Preston's comment was posted.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS