About changing name

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
11 of 18

@Md. Mostafizur R wrote:

===============================================
In reply of Mr. Preston
Yeah... this is another..... wrong set of expectations to oDesk.
Oh, oDesk is a website ...... No, people. This isn't Facebook. You can't.....change your identity whenever you feel like it.

Think of oDesk as an online version of your real world workplace.

In the real world of business, you don't change your name whenever you like.
-----------------

You don't tell your co-workers or boss to start calling you by some made up name one week (even a nickname) and then another name the next week, and expect then to take you seriously...........
====================================================
Hi there,
First of all, I would like to thank a lot to Mr. Preston for his valuable precise writing. I am sure new freelancers who have that wrong expectation (In terms of changing their Name now and then) already got the points and will never want to change their Name unnecessarily.

Off-topic: But now I would like to make a little fun with Mr. Preston. Dear Preston, you still didn't forget the name oDesk, is that mean you don't take the Name Upwork seriously? :-)

Check the date on the post, it was still oDesk then.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
12 of 18

Aw, Vlad and Kristina beat me to it Smiley Sad 

I'll be specific though and state that the change from oDesk to Upwork was launched on 6 May 2015. Preston's post was on 11 February 2015. So unless you're expecting him to be prescient...

anup100901
Anup S Member Since: Feb 28, 2015
13 of 18

It needs to use the legal name. In reply to Preston H, i would like to say - don't think, odesk needed to verify the identity while someone create the account, until verify one can't bid or withdraw money. I think it's quite fair as verify goes at startup, as Elance do. Of course i can't ask my boss to call me with made up name for one week, but odesk can ask to verify after 3 years, odesk and elance can be merged, the only anomalies on odesk seems to be using nick name, while odesk don't force to verify identity at earlier Smiley Happy  

writeworks
MILO ANTONIO C. I Member Since: Mar 11, 2015
14 of 18

What i did was:

1. go to SETTINGS (clck on gear icon).

2. click on EDIT (located on the upper righ area)

from there you can edit your name.

engrinzamamulhaq
Inzamam u Member Since: Dec 16, 2015
15 of 18

Hello, please help me, How can I change my name?

kochubei_valeria
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
16 of 18

Hi Inzamam,

Please, go to your Settings by clicking on the round icon in the upper-right corner and then click on "Edit" next to "Account." You will be informed if you need to complete ID verification in order for your name change request to be approved.

~ Valeria
Untitled
maryjacinto
Marie-Beth J Member Since: Feb 2, 2016
17 of 18

Question. Is LEGAL name on odesk different from Profile name. Initially, I entered (ex.) JOHN JONES as both legal and profile name. Then I had to change it to JOHN SMITH since all my bank documents and stuff are under this legal name. I was able to edit my name under PROFILE. However, if you go to TAX INFORMATION tab, it still hows JOHN JONES as my legal name. I already did submit a request to correct this thru their customer service. But has anyone encountered this or atleast familiar with the turn around time of requests like this? Thank you in advance.

kochubei_valeria
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 18

Hi Marie-Beth,

I see that your profile name change request has already been approved. I'll also follow up with the team to let them know that you need to change the information you entered on your tax form. They will update you via the ticket as soon as it's reset.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS