🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » About giving email to the client
Page options
mixamago
Community Member

About giving email to the client

I have a question, but first, let me explain the situation.

Four months ago my account was "on hold" because Upwork accused me of contacting my clients outside of the platform, even when I never did that, at least not trying to receive payment outside of Upwork. Even worst, during those months I was never contacted by anyone. They never even gave me proof of why they were so sure I did that. So I was forced to accept something I did not do just to recover my account.

Now I am trying to be active once again on Upwork, trying to give a bit of trust on this place. I already have a couple of clients who asked me to give them my email so they could send me more info or an evaluation. And here is my question: it's supposed to be against the rules to give them my email so they can give me more info, or material, for the job? I am supposed to say to the client "sorry, search for someone else because I can't give you my email" and lose my chance?

I prefer to ask this before cooperate with my client and be accused once again.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
994757a8
Community Member

I'm super new to Upwork as a client, but I have run temp services for 20 years.

The client can get hold of you 24/7 on here, and upload documents and use dropbox.

The only reason clients want to communicate outside of this employment agency is so they can avoid paying for your services.

Read your TOS. Encourage your clients to read their TOS. Never, for everyone's safety, take yourcommuniction off the upwork platform.

Everyone wants to hire help, but not everyone wants to pay. Upwork can't make sure you are paid if you do work off the platfrm.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
994757a8
Community Member

I'm super new to Upwork as a client, but I have run temp services for 20 years.

The client can get hold of you 24/7 on here, and upload documents and use dropbox.

The only reason clients want to communicate outside of this employment agency is so they can avoid paying for your services.

Read your TOS. Encourage your clients to read their TOS. Never, for everyone's safety, take yourcommuniction off the upwork platform.

Everyone wants to hire help, but not everyone wants to pay. Upwork can't make sure you are paid if you do work off the platfrm.

I see. I think I understand now. In fact, I think I remember some similar situations.

So some clients contact outside of Upwork asking for "a test" or an "evaluation" as a way to receive a little piece of work from the freelancer without paying at him. In fact, that would explain. I had a couple of experiences like that before, when I did some "tests" (like writting description for webshops) without receiving a payment or being talked after that.

Then Upwork give to the client enough ways to give the information or the material to the freelancer inside the platform.

Thank you.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths