Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About my Job Success score.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
11 of 27

Agree with you Maria what ever you have said.JS has many secrets may be its not your recent client whom you worked with may be he is good and would like to have your services again may be its your last 12 or 24 month work history which drop your JS.There are hidden fectors which effects our JS and we think to blame our recent clients which we may think provide us bad private feedback.

Upwork should have to rethink and care about us as if a client leave us with 1 privately no one can do anything about it even a client or Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
12 of 27

I can guide you in the right direction to better understand how.

First you need to appreciate the major differences in the components of public vs private feedback. It is easy to almost guarantee 5* public feedback by just doing your job "perfectly,", based on the 6 rating points. However private feedback is a different matter - and I will not get into the qualitative aspect of the of the two questions. I believe problems should be addressed one step at a time.

If you completed the job successfully, then that part is a giveaway. The second question however is much more tenuous, as it can be misinterpreted, misunderstood and take on different meanings for different clients. So more often than not - you will not get a 10 in the score.

Now here lies the problem with that. There is a strong possibility that this part of the rating system the NPS system (or a derivative). This has been mentioned several times by a keen member here on the forum, and no answer was forthcoming. I would recommend reading on this said system. You will then understand how easy it is to figure out what went wrong.

So re your original question. The client did not give you a "bad" feedback. It is more the system interpretation of that feedback. Else, as you indicated, why would the client keep giving you repeat jobs. So please take up these offers, because the client is not at fault, and good opportunities are passing you by.

***Please also understand the limitations of Mods and community members alike in revealing or implying "sensitive" information.

Picture1.jpg

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Maria C Member Since: Feb 3, 2015
13 of 27
-----------------------------
If you completed the job successfully, then that part is a giveaway. The second question however is much more tenuous, as it can be misinterpreted, misunderstood and take on different meanings for different clients. So more often than not - you will not get a 10 in the score.
-----------------------------

Thank you Setu, for the explanation. Here is a crazy idea for Upwork: why don't you change the question in private feedback to avoid any misunderstandig or misinterpretation?

Here is my suggestion: In a scale from 1 to 10, how satisfied are you with the work this freelancer provided?

As I wrote before, willingness to recommendate is not always directly related to level of satisfaction.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
14 of 27

Setu,

Since I know you have spent a lot of time trying to understand how the calculation works maybe you can help me understand my situation.

Two weeks ago my JS was 80%. In these two weeks I got 4 new projects, only one of them was closed. 5 star public feedback. Let’s say the private was 1.

How come four new contracts, only one contract closed (let’s assume the private feedback was poor just for the sake of having at least some explanation), new milestones to almost every ongoing contract, and my JS drops for 5%?

Is it possible that one poor feedback (private, although I doubt it was poor but I am looking at the worst case scenario) could lower my JS for 5%?

It seems like the system is a little confused Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sandra T Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
15 of 27

To some degree I can see some sense in the implementation of an NPS. And I guess I could also live with the definition that a freelancer is only considered "completely sucessful" if existing clients would very likely promote their service to possible future clients (although this wouldn't depict my favored/personal definition).

However and considering the context, I do think that the term "job success" is misleading in the way it is being displayed to a freelancer's potential clients. Their definition of "job success" will imo most likely differ from Upwork's definition, yet it is a factor their hiring decision may be based upon.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
16 of 27

@ Sandra The scenary you described is possible, not in my case since I haven't received any training from my clients, but possible in other cases nevertheless. The problem is the question then. It should be changed to a plain "Are you satisfied with the service this freelancer provided?" Period. Willingness to recommendate may not be directly related with level of satisfaction..

@ Iftikhar I have been around for six months, so my score is a reflection of my recent work only. Anyway, I know the quality of my work, if some clients for some other reason decided to damage my score, they can do so without any repercution. Maybe I should choose my clients better, maybe I should improve my mind reading skills.

I feel a little bit frustrated today, sigh... i apologize.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
17 of 27

Maria,

you wrote, "Here is my suggestion: In a scale from 1 to 10, how satisfied are you with the work this freelancer provided?"

I've written the same thing myself, and others have as well. No one at Upwork has ever responded to this question, to my knowledge.

18 of 27

John, it is sad that Upwork is not open to discuss a factor that is obviously affecting freelancers. I am pretty sure I am not the only one with this concern.

Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 27

Private feedback is one aspect of JS score, and I think too much focus is being placed on it.

Was this a "successful job", "not successful", "kinda successful." This is the important question.

How is your Job Success Score calculated?

We look at many performance indicators, both positive and negative, including:

• public and private feedback
  • successful completion of work
  • client complaints
  • responsiveness levels
  • missed deadlines
  • disputes
  • long term client relationships

Therefore private feedback is only a potion of whether the job was "successful" or "not." Now private feedback has 2 components, one of which is actually "not private," but stares at us everyday.

My Stats - Google Chrome (06-14-2015 16.39.08).png

Therefore that only leaves one "reason contract ended" - and that one is within you control 99% of the time. So I really do not think this is the main issue here.

Highlighted
Community Guru
20 of 27

@ Aleksandra

I can only explain that after more information is released. I would not want to mislead the community. I can say though that there is a logical explanation.

***Edited to add - The law of averages is affecting you greatly, you have only completed 6 jobs so far.

@ Sandra

Good to see you are reading. This is why I started by saying I will not argue the qualitative aspects of the questions involved in private feedback. We here all agree that it needs to be improved. However this in itself is not the main problem.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS