🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » About my Upwork Profile.
Page options
gerrit90
Community Member

Please, Review My Profile

Hey guys,

this is my first time posting here.
I am on UpWork for a few month now, and it starts to get a little bit momentum.
This week I will breach the 1000 Dollar total earnings. 

However, I am still pretty unsatisfied, how few of my proposals come back with an interview invitation.

Could you guys give me a short review of my profile?
What do you like?
What dont you like?
What would you change?

I would appreciate any Feedback!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi all,

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation here.

Thank you!

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,400 REPLIES 1,400
sanjeeb_m
Community Member

Been on Upwork for about a month now. Today, I received a Rising Talent batch. Have taken some tests on Upwork also. Profile is 100% complete. The stats show over way above Average profile views. I am guessing people are reading the proposal and looking up the profile.

But, as on date, not a single interview from about 30 job proposals submitted.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong or is this a "bid and pray" game? 

I put myself in a Virtual Assistant role because I want to get involved in a lot of business support activities which are not entirely secretarial role. Am i positioning myself correctly? Is there a gender bias within a Virtual Assistant role?

thanks,
Sanjeeb

I don't know about gender bias but I do know that the VA field is glutted.  You're competing with tens of thousands of people.

You have a lot of skills that are much more highly marketable and I'd focus on those, if I were you. 

nikad
Community Member

I checked your profile. I think you should go for very small gigs first, and maybe have a more compatitive hourly rate. Once yuo have some more projects raise it. Just my two cents.

Welcome to the VA field.  It is hard to get a job on here as a VA because there are so many people.  I have been doing some small data entry jobs, and now am having recruiters search me out because of my positive job ratings.  Have an an interview on Monday for a part time gig on here.  If you do some small jobs, then people will see positive reviews and will be more likely to give you a second look.

I'm a new client here on upwork and i'm in the usa. I need a number of different resources. I'll give you a straight up answer, without any kind of history on up work and your offshore, your rate is too high, for me anyway.

I've worked with offshore people, I've worked for large offshore consulting company so i'm aware.

I'd suggest doing a couple of short term gigs at a lower rate, then raise your rate once you get a reputation.  I know with your background, this isn't appealing but as others have mentioned it is competitive and you've got to get started.

Am i positioning myself correctly? Is there a gender bias within a Virtual Assistant role?

I do not think it is a gender bias, I think you are simply not a VA in the sense that most clients advertising for a VA are looking for.

You're way overqualified and / or too expensive for 99% of the VA gigs. I don't think you are too expensive for what you really are.

With your background you could position yourself quite differently and much more profitably.

So rather than lowering your rate I would shift focus and completely remove any reference to "VA"

Sanjeeb---

I am at the same rate as you with completely different skills and goals for projects. I have only gotten one job on Upwork.  I am still trying to improve my Profile.  BTW, the Upwork Community is fantastic---very helpful and always willing to give their time to help us newbies.  I can't thank them enough!

Steve

Hi Sanjeeb,

I think you've got a very good profile and a rich work history. Like others pointed out, you're probably offering your services in an already very competitive field - so the price may be a deterrent initially. If you think from a clients perspective, why would they want to hire some one at certain price with no work history if there are many options available at maybe half the price with well established work history and feedback.

So, If I were you, I may want to lower my price (ie, if I want to continue working as a VA) to work on a couple of smalls projects to develop a reputation and feedback. However, you could still go with your current profile rate and offer your services in a category (maybe VBA?) which has fewer competition in comparison and your price could still remain competitive.

It's totally upto you on what skills you want to offer on Upwork - however be mindful of the fact the competition in the offered skill category, what prices your competitors are offering and you may set your profile rate accordingly to get started.

I think as time progresses you'll get a better idea of how things work on Upwork and will be able to strategize better and win projects.

All the best !

mohammed__y
Community Member

i am working in some organization. i want to utilize my free time in upwork. how does it fit for working professional. ?

odeb
Community Member

Hello Respected Team,

I am new here. May you please review my profile?

Is there any improvements with my profile need to getting hire ?

Which are the term and condition to set in mind when send a Proposal ?

m84champloo
Community Member

x.PNG

odeb
Community Member

Hi Matija,

It would be great if you share tips with my profile.

odeb
Community Member

Hi Matija,

I have updated my profile from "not Public" to "Public"

Is there any other recommandation?

paubarbo
Community Member

Would you please help me with my profile? I still can't get job. Thanks a lot! 

hetchlimz
Community Member

I'm new in Upwork though i had opened my account years back with Odesk but never used it. I need help to get my first job, i have gone through all treds around and worked on my profile and cover letter please let me know where you think i still need to work on.

Thank you.

gerrys
Community Member

Get a skill that's in demand.

What you want is irrelevant.

hetchlimz
Community Member

I am good in HTML5, CSS3, PHP, JQuery, WordPress, SEO, E-commerce and graphic design

To start with, your profile is set to private  

No one can see it to offer you any advice. 

Am soo sorry about that, i didn't know anyway i have made it public i would really appreciate if you had another look.

Hello Craig, I made my Profile public and also made some adjustments please let me know what you think.

pynkuu
Community Member

Hi all, I just joined Upwork and while I am not new to the Freelance game, I'd like some advice on this site.

I'm an illustrator & animator, have bascially worn many hats my entire life so I have a wice range or skills and capabilities.

Could I get feedback on my profile and portfolio?

What are some of the types of jobs I should specifically look for?

And how long did it take you to get your first job?

Thanks so much!

lysis10
Community Member

Nice portfolio. I like the landscape drawing. Reminds me of this Indie game I played a couple years ago called Child of Light.

pynkuu
Community Member

Thank you very much for the compliment! 🙂 I appreciate the comparison a lot, I definitely have an interest in creating  art assets for video games but my present portfolio doesn't represent enough work catered to that. I have to work on some more independent (or hopefully contracted stuff) and move my portfolio in that direction.

Hi Tiffany,

I have seen that portfolio have a link to a personal page, and this page also has links to social networks.
You should remove that link, they can punish you for that.

hetchlimz
Community Member

I'm new in Upwork though i had opened my account years back with Odesk but never used it. I need help to get my first job, i have gone through all treds around and worked on my profile and cover letter please let me know where you think i still need to work on.

I am a Web Designer and WordPress expert with more than 3 years’ experience. My knowledge is vast but not limited to; E-commerce websites, SEO, HTML5, CSS3 and PHP.

Please Help!

Salim:

Your problem is that your knowledge is vast.

When a client hires a contractor on Upwork who has ZERO EXPERIENCE, they do not want to hire somebody whose knowledge is vast.

They want to hire somebody who is GOOD AT ONE THING.

You have too many skills listed on your profile. This is not an optimal profile for an Upwork newbie.

Remove ALL skills EXCEPT ONE.

Focus everything in your profile only on that skill.

Then write excellent, brief cover letters and apply to jobs until you have completed 3 jobs using that skill.

Then you may slowly expand your list of skills, as you gain experience.

Thank you for taking your time to go through my profile Preston. I have rectified and the profile according to the tests i've done please advice.

Salim,

I think that's a lot better. I wish you well. Right now, really take time to write great, short cover letters.

Make sure your cover letters are about the client. DON'T TALK ABOUT YOURSELF. Talk about the client. Talk about the client's project. Talk about how you will make the client's project better.

Don't buy connects. Don't sign up for a premium membership plan.

If you run out of connects, use the remaining time until you get more to work on improving your portfolio.

Look at every portfolio piece you post and ask yourself:

Does this look like something that is distinctly "Salim," or does this look like something that one might see thousands of other places?

Try to make sure your portfolio pieces are distinct and reflect something of yourself. So that when somebody looks at your portfolio, they instantly trust that you are the genuine creator, and not a low-down copy-and-paster.

I already like your portfolio so far. I already think you are on the right track with it.

Thank you soo much fo the advice Preston really helped.

I would strongly suggest you change the profile picture to be honest. I am not sure what kind of impression you are trying to convey, but I can assure you that it isn't working....

You also need to check the grammar on your overview. I think stating that your English is fluent when the overview is not will do you no favours at all.

What does "Accuracy is my first priority thus I strictly follow instructions given by a client respectively unless otherwise. " even mean?

For starters it makes no sense, and frankly I personally hate seeing "I follow instructions" on a profile. It's like putting "I breathe" on it or "I can read and write" or "I can count to three," you know? It is not a special quality, it's a prerequisite.

I would take a day or two to read the profiles of successful top freelancers in your category, to see how they present themselves. Take inspiration from that (obviously without copying any of it!) and then see how you can position yourself in a similar way.

Hello Petra, Thank you for your honest opinion. I have adjusted my profile as per your instructions please take another look and tell me if am on the right track.

Kind Regards

sn_osman_web
Community Member

Dear,

I am really glad to here & I like to know about my profile condition. Please expert make some suggestions for me. My curisity is my profile rate is not so good. If i am applying any job they don't hire me. What should i do now?

I wish you could understand my problem and will help me .

Regards,

~Osman

Hi Osman,

Thank you for the private message.  I feel, however, the need to address your concern here at the forum.  One thing that I noticed is that your profile overview has neat and polished English. What do you mean by "profile rate"?

Hi Juvy and Osman

I guess by poor rate, he means his Job Success Score (JSS). Osman, I am not saying you are beyond saving, but your JSS needs some significant work. I would suggest a couple of multiple small tasks that you could complete quickly, to raise your JSS (and do a great job).

🙂

Kevin, I think you're right and it's probably because he got a 1 star rating for a $35 job. He should have just refunded all the money and asked the client to close the contract and then he wouldn't have a one star rating, but it's too late now.

Please let me know what should I need to do? I did't get any job since last 7 months I have applied many jobs but still no repsonse. Please anyone help me

Sorry to hear that. Your profile looks good to me, but I'm not a client so who knows what clients prefer. You *might* consider lowering your hourly rate a bit, perhaps. I only say that because we're in a similar market and my rate is a bit lower than yours. I also see 3 completed jobs where the client left no feedback. Try asking the client to leave you feedback, especially on the job with the large dollar amount. Getting more feedback could improve your Job Success score which is good but not great.

Thank you for your response and suggestion. I am going to reduce my rate and try to connect with clients. If you have more suggestion please let me know.

You're welcome. Good luck! Once you get to 100 hours, increase the rate, but it's important to get to 100 hours because a lot of jobs require that, as you probably know. You can still apply to those jobs but your chances are better when you have 100 hours. Also, when you contact clients to ask for feedback, be nice to them of course but explain to them that it's important they give you their feedback.

Thank you Jhon I appriciate your advice very nice to talk you

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths