🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » About the Client - Actual Client location
Page options
sidefr33
Community Member

About the Client - Actual Client location

When you look up a job and under the About the Client section, it has the country and time listed which I have determined to be the clients actual time, would it throw a red flag to you if it says they are from the United States but the time listed clearly does not match the time zones currently in the US.  For example, one I just looked up said they were United States but the time said 3am when it is 1pm for the East Coast.  I am new to Upwork so I am just trying to make sure I know how to watch out for scams.  Ninety percent of the jobs I have applied for have been removed for not following guidelines so I am just trying to figure this whole thing out. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Lori S wrote:

I am new to Upwork so I am just trying to make sure I know how to watch out for scams.  Ninety percent of the jobs I have applied for have been removed for not following guidelines so I am just trying to figure this whole thing out. 

You are absolutely right to be very cautious.

As a new and US-based freelancer in an entry-level category, you will receive many approaches from scammers, and most of them pretend to be in the USA when really they are not.

The main thing you need to look out for is that you do not, under any circumstances, communicate with any client outside the platform until you are hired. That will keep you safe from the majority of scammers. It also keeps your profile safe from being suspended for violating Upwork's terms of service.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Others are welcome to offer different viewpoints than mine, of course.

But personally:
I never look at client time zones or client locations.

I do not consider those to be indicative of scams.

I often work for clients without having any idea about where they live or what time zone they are in. This has not been important or interesting to me.

I do not doubt that there are clients I have worked for (or am working for now) who move around or take vacations or work out of multiple locations, and who may have "disjunction" relative to their time zones, locations, etc., for various reasons. But their money flows into my bank account, so I remain unconcerned.

petra_r
Community Member

Lori S wrote:

I am new to Upwork so I am just trying to make sure I know how to watch out for scams.  Ninety percent of the jobs I have applied for have been removed for not following guidelines so I am just trying to figure this whole thing out. 

You are absolutely right to be very cautious.

As a new and US-based freelancer in an entry-level category, you will receive many approaches from scammers, and most of them pretend to be in the USA when really they are not.

The main thing you need to look out for is that you do not, under any circumstances, communicate with any client outside the platform until you are hired. That will keep you safe from the majority of scammers. It also keeps your profile safe from being suspended for violating Upwork's terms of service.

sidefr33
Community Member

Thank you so much for the response.  I am trying to be very cautious since I am new to this.  I also don't want to mess up.

Lori:
Come here and talk about what you are encountering - as much as you want.

The Forum regulars are a talkative bunch and we love to help newbies steer clear of scammers.

There are are LOTS of helpful people in the Forum. You won't tire us out by asking questions for the purpose of staying safe.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members