🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Abrupt Contract Cancellation
Page options
heritageanalysis
Community Member

Abrupt Contract Cancellation

I recently agreed to a fix contract with a client earlier this week. I was out of town but he insisted I needed to order supplies and pay for them to be able to start my position next week. He stated the would be reimbursed once I had them ready to go and could print my reimbursement. I ordered all the supplies and went around getting other supplies. This morning the contract was cancelled. I am net to Upwork. I just want to know if this is a common practice and if there is anything I can do outside of returning the supplies for my refund.
8 REPLIES 8
varungs
Community Member

This is uncommon. Clients are not supposed to ask you to pay for anything - they are supposed to pay you for your work. If you expect to be paid for anything by a client, you must either have an hourly contract in place with them or you must have a contract with funded milestones. 

Yea. It was a payroll position. He had me buy the equipment and then I would be printing my own refund as training. All communication was fine
By text message. I think at this point since there was an abrupt cancellation with no communication I will be leaving a review and returning the equipment.

Matthew R wrote:
Yea. It was a payroll position. He had me buy the equipment and then I would be printing my own refund as training.

You would be what?

That didn't sound unbelievably odd to you?

I did not at first but as time went on my gut told me something was wrong.

There also was an activated milestone for payment to be due in 30 days. Do I have any right to submit for payment based in what happened? Being that no work was done do I have a claim at all?

This check printing gig is a pretty common scam.  I bet that if you check, the milestone was never funded.  Lesson learned - forget it and move on.

re: "Do I have any right to submit for payment based in what happened? Being that no work was done do I have a claim at all?"

Buying equipment, printing checks... these are signs of common scams. It is doubtful that the "client" set up a real contract for you.

But to answer your question generally: Any time a client sets up an actual milestone with escrow funding, it causes a button to be available to the freelancer: "Submit Work / Request Payment". If the freelancer clicks that button then it shows the client a request to release payment. If the client does nothing, then payment is automatically released to the freelancer.

re: "Being that no work was done do I have a claim at all?"

I do not know all the details of your situation. I am just an Upwork user.

What most of us would do if we realized we were involved with a client who was simply a scammer would be to try to report this to Upwork and get out of the situation as soon as possible. If we were in a situation where a contract was in place, but no work at all had been done, and we needed to close the contract, then we would not try to get paid.

I would have to agree. I have spoken to UPwork ans they have confirmed this client was involved in fradulent activity. I have learne my lesson to trust my gut when I believe something is wrong with a position. From the start I thought this position was good fit but as we continued talking I should have backed away. Lesson learned return the equipment since I can with amazon and move on.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members