🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Abusive client, how to deal with the situatio...
Page options
kakashi07
Community Member

Abusive client, how to deal with the situation

Hi everyone! I recently started a contract with a customer who became abusive (requesting me to work 12 hour a day, messaging me at innapropriate hours and constantly urging me to "work NOW" because of some deadline which just appeared overnight.

The contract was accepted by me just for creating mobile application screens (this is my specialty). This was mentioned when I accepted the contract. Of course, now the client wants to me do other work, which I never agreed on. 

I already raised a support request but only got some guidelines.

I am confident this client will keep pushing for more and more work until it's outside of the contract scope and outside of my skill area. At that point he will just give me a bad rating.

How can I end the collaboration for this contract? Will I be able to remove the bad rating and if yes, will it impact my JSS? 

Many thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Fire the client and learn to set healthy boundaries in future. (Saying "No" becomes so much easier with practice).

Yes, you can remove poor feedback using your top-rated perk, provided you haven't used the perk in the last 3 months and 10 contracts.

How can I end the collaboration for this contract?

Go to My Jobs and then open the contract.

Click on the 3 dots at the top right.

Choose "End Contract".

tlbp
Community Member

Stefan C wrote:

Hi everyone! I recently started a contract with a customer who became abusive (requesting me to work 12 hour a day, messaging me at innapropriate hours and constantly urging me to "work NOW" because of some deadline which just appeared overnight.

The contract was accepted by me just for creating mobile application screens (this is my specialty). This was mentioned when I accepted the contract. Of course, now the client wants to me do other work, which I never agreed on. 

I already raised a support request but only got some guidelines.

I am confident this client will keep pushing for more and more work until it's outside of the contract scope and outside of my skill area. At that point he will just give me a bad rating.

How can I end the collaboration for this contract? Will I be able to remove the bad rating and if yes, will it impact my JSS? 

Many thanks.

You cannot avoid a client's rating except in rare circumstances or by using a Top Rated perk if you have one.

You can try to remove yourself as politely as possible--don't argue or make accusations, handle it like a personal break up. 
But on Upwork, reviews are part of the bargain. If you close the contract, there is a chance that the client won't leave a review because they are too busy or overlook the deadline. 

Tl;dr
1. Top Rated perk if you have one
2. Break up so gently that they aren't made
3. Sneak away by closing the contract yourself and hope they don't notice in time

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members