🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Accepted invitations to interview, but no...
Page options
tneeld
Community Member

Accepted invitations to interview, but no response from clients

Hello,

I've recieved 4 invitations to interview over the past 15 days and have accepted all of them. However, I haven't received any responses from any of them yet. If you are not chosen for the job, do you get a notification from Upwork as a freelancer? It seems odd that my active proposals have had no activity for so long. I've also submitted 3 additional proposals which are over a month that don't show any indication of being closed / accepted / denied / etc. Do these expire after some time if the client is inactive? Any information / advice is greatly appreciated.

-Tom

11 REPLIES 11
lexidh
Community Member

Sadly it is perfectly normal. In my case, I don't really think about a job seriously unless I'm communicating with a client on a personal, one on one basis, or get an offer. Most jobs just never happen, invitation or not. 

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Did you receive invitations to interview, in response to proposals you had submitted? Or did you receive invitations to submit proposals? If the latter, did you submit proposals?

It's the norm not to hear back on proposals unless the client wants to hire you, or at least engage in a conversation. You only hear from UW if the job is closed by the client or if it's closed by UW because of some transgression by the client--in which case you get your connects back--or if it finally expires. Submit 'em and forget 'em, or you'll go nuts.

It is kind of unusual not to hear back on a proposal you were invited to submit. But not unheard of, I suppose.

It's definitely unusual for a FL who's brand-new to the platform to receive cold invitations from viable clients--most, if not all, will be scammers, so look at any of those very, very carefully.

Phyllis G wrote:

It is kind of unusual not to hear back on a proposal you were invited to submit. But not unheard of, I suppose.

This is actually a frequent occurrence for me. I suspect they are "price shopping" in these circumstances. 

tlbp
Community Member

Miriam H wrote:

Phyllis G wrote:

This is actually a frequent occurrence for me. I suspect they are "price shopping" in these circumstances. 

I agree. I think clients either hope that my profile rate is not my actual rate or don't review my profile rate before sending the invite. Once I state my terms in the proposal, most don't get back to me. I am definitely at a price point where I get fewer responses than I did when I charged less. 

My situation is similar to others: I get lots of invites for jobs that match my skills, but more than half of these clients never respond to my submittals. I'm wondering if clients are advised that a submittal is from an invited freelancer, or if our responses are just thrown in with all the uninvited responses. Can anyone confirm that 'invited' responses are highlighted to the clients?

hoffenberg-irit
Community Member

I see a lot of jobs posting from clients that just become members in upwark, it looks like they just want to check the platform but not really searious about hiring.I guess not all the jobs are real jobs.    

ANY marketing activities that you undertake will only pay off a small percentage of the time. Whether you put up a poster or take out an ad or post a promotion on Linked In, the majority of people who see your offer won't end up hiring you. It's the same when you place bids on Upwork. 

I would suggest a very large percentage of clients who invite me directly do not go on to have a single conversation. I don't do fixed bid so not sure this is price shopping as my rate is in my profile, but it's also interesting to note that 99%+ of those jobs do not go on to hire anyone, at least on this platform.  I used to wonder why they bother to invite me if they don't intend to even have a single exchange. No idea really but maybe they were hoping to see a lower rate than what is in my profile or they just wanted to see if people would respond to them. Been going on forever. 

Same here and the worse ones are from the UW talent Scout - the last one was an invitation for  job offer by an Indian company which pays an average hourly rate of $3.00 which should not be allowed here in the first place - this is slave labour 

lexidh
Community Member

Hermann M wrote:

Same here and the worse ones are from the UW talent Scout - the last one was an invitation for  job offer by an Indian company which pays an average hourly rate of $3.00 which should not be allowed here in the first place - this is slave labour 

Most of the time I wonder if those "Talent Scouts" are real people at all, and not just bots. The lack of realism in their suggestions point to complete lack of understanding anything about what I do for clients here on UpWork, and what I expect to earn from a job. Not ONE of their suggestions has been relevant or midly interesting!

elastella
Community Member

Since I got switched over to paid Connects, all of a sudden I am being inundated with (random) invites. I literally get 2/day now - whereas I was down to 2-3/month for about 10 months!

On paper, this sounds good.

BUT: the quality of these invites is poor. Those 3/month were usually targeted invites by serious, well-paying clients. Now I am seeing $5 (real budget) jobs again, clients looking for skills I don't offer, etc. etc. - something I hadn't encountered in a while.

Also new: clients that, despite my accepting their relevant invites, don't get back to me again. Ever. I don't know how many archived candidacies I have but there are loads. That never used to happen when clients initiated contact.

Whatever changed, it doesn't really work. Yet again, it's all about quantity instead of quality...

ETA: and since posting this the invites abruptly stopped coming in. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths