🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Accepting a vague offer.
Page options
666ba64e
Community Member

Accepting a vague offer.

Hi all,

Applied a for a job post.

Shopify updates needed etc

Turn out he only needs one update even though the post listed many.

If I accepted the hourly contract just for the one update, can the client force me to do all the listed updates and threaten to ruin my JSS if I end the contract?

I only wanted to get paid for one hours work.

I don't feel comfortable entering into contracts like this with clients with how much power they wield over me if I accept the offer.

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

You can accept a vague offer.

It's called an hourly contract.

Client can't force you to do anything.

02d3e798
Community Member

If you have doubts probably go with your gut feeling and just reject that offer, you might earn more from just spending the time looking for a client suited to the type of project you want to do.

kinector
Community Member

Conor M wrote:

Hi all,

Applied a for a job post.

Shopify updates needed etc

Turn out he only needs one update even though the post listed many.

If I accepted the hourly contract just for the one update, can the client force me to do all the listed updates and threaten to ruin my JSS if I end the contract?

I only wanted to get paid for one hours work.

I don't feel comfortable entering into contracts like this with clients with how much power they wield over me if I accept the offer.

Conor, I see how this can be a bad situation full of distress.

I'd do like this:

1) Double-check very carefully all the communications that you've had. Make sure the incident is not an unfortunate communication issue. Did you talk with the client or just used the text chat? If it is a mixup, you can clear the situation on your own most probably.

2) See if you have evidence about a clear threat by the client. The feedback system is intended to be fair based on how well the work has been delivered by the freelancer. It is not OK for clients to threaten freelancers. It is not OK to ask for free work either. Both are ToS violations, I believe. You need to be sure your case is either one and you have something in the written communications to back it up. If you have that evidence, you can close the contract and politely let the client know that you've done what you promised (being over-booked for the next several weeks is a good excuse). If (and when) the client reacts badly, you may be entitled to ask Upwork Customer Support to remove bad feedback because of the client's manipulation attempt.

So, perhaps not as big worries as you might think... ✌️

There are some tricks for screening clients like this. It's more art than science. You'll learn soon enough. 👍

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths