🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Access Denied to local jobs
Page options
staytrue-tk
Community Member

Access Denied to local jobs

Hello! I am new to upwork. I am trying to apply to a job that is labeled as local, it's in my recommended jobs, and I can actually see the city name and so I can confirm that it is local. My problem arises when I try to apply for it and I receive the access denied screen stating that I can only apply to jobs within my location. Clearly it knows my location hence why it labeled it local. Why can't I apply to local jobs?

7 REPLIES 7
JoanneP

Hi TK,

I checked your account and the job post you share on the screenshot. Upon checking, the client mentioned that the freelancer must be from Alachua Fl. This is why you keep seeing the message that the job is not available in your location. Thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thanks Joanne! I appreciate the response. Is there a way to message the client and find out if they are willing to negotiate that because I am about an hour away from them. It's not exactly IN the city but it's small so the city limits are rather short.

Also, I've tried to apply to a job, 20 mins away from me and I am still receiving access denied. What are the boundries for location?

I too have had frustrations with the local parameters, especially those around a major city with widespread suburbs. It’s like the UpWork system doesn’t realize that people commute. *scratches head*

Hi TK,

I understand your concern; however, this feature works as designed. If the client specifically mentions the location then those freelancers that are outside the specified location will not be able to submit proposals. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Am I able to message these potential clients? I find it ineffective if I'm 20 mins away that I shouldn't qualifiy for a job because my city limit isn't exact. I literally live in the center of 3-4 cities with a 20-30 min radius. The client should be able to accept of defer my offer if I'm "close enough".

Hi TK, 

You will not be able to send a message to these clients. You will only be able to communicate with a client if you send a proposal to their job, and they have reached out to you to discuss the job further. This is working as designed, and prevents users from spamming each other.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths