cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to the invoice send to the client

quankiquanki
Quang N Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
1 of 16

Is there anyway to access the invoice that Upwork sends to the client? This is needed for EU tax administration and keeping this hidden from the freelancer is a bit weird because the freelancers name and address is on it. We should be able to access our own invoices. It might be already available but I can not find it anywhere.

Also a feature request, it would be great if there are VAT features for EU freelancers and clients. Elance already has this for quite some time so I hope Upwork can have this too. Letting a freelancer put in their VAT ID and it showing on the invoice will go a long way. Hopefully this will be implemented in the feature.

cristianadrianf
Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
2 of 16

Quang,

The term "client" is a bit ambiguous. With this you refer to clients as both freelancers and employers, or just the buyers?

"Elance already has this for quite some time so I hope Upwork can have this too." - yes, Elance has this great feature that allows working in the VIES system. My guess is that you can access the "Upwork enterprise" section from your settings. This is only a guess as I saw it there and wondered about several features.

As far as I know about the VAT, with the law, here in my country, you are allowed to declare only the income that's taxable, without any additional invoices. The only risk would be if there's an integrity control for your company, and that's when you really need the invoice. It's such a pity that not all European countries do the invoice cross-checking (I consider myself lucky).

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
3 of 16

My accountant (in Ireland) is happy with me only being able to prove annual earnings (payments) from Upwork (annual report). Don't take that as gospel, but it seems similar to the above poster's situation.

quankiquanki
Quang N Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
4 of 16

Thanks for the responses.

With the word client I am referring to the end-user, the one who buys a service on Upwork. The freelancer is the one who is selling the service.  In EU, you will need to invoice the buyer and have that invoice in your administration in case of check-ups like Christian mentioned.

Due to not having access to that invoice, the only thing that I can do is send an invoice to Upwork and thus saying that Upwork is the buyer and that my income is coming from Upwork and not from the end-user. Upwork itself is then reselling my service to the end-user and then charges us 10% service fee for their work. I think Stephen is using this construction.

I do think that your countries VAT needs to be paid on the 10% service fee due to the EU freelancer buying a service from Upwork which lays outside the EU. But this is the responsibility of the freelancer.

cristianadrianf
Community Guru
Cristian-Adrian F Member Since: May 6, 2015
5 of 16

Quang,

Now I have a better understanding of your issue: the thing is that in EU we have to apply the VAT rule when both parties are from the European Union. The seller, meaning the freelancer can be worldwide, hence Upwork is the one who "gives" the money to the freelancer, and Upwork resides in Mountain View, USA and not part of EU. So, after the law the freelancer and you as a buyer aren't compelled  to fill in any declaration, as far as I know, maybe only the standard invoice without any VAT number.

Consequently, you, as a buyer here, you are funding for a company that's outside EU, so if there's any law that inforces filling a declaration for that, you should pursue Customer Support, otherwise no (in my country you don't have to pay any fee for services outside EU) .

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
6 of 16

I think one of the, if not the one, bottom line, is that if you live aoutside the US you should seek advice from a local accountant or tax consultant as to exactly what is required in that particular country and in your particuar circumstance. Much better to do that early on than try and work it out for yourself and find a couple of years down the road that the taxman doesn't like what you're doing, and wants you to pay a bit of back-tax.

meture
Ace Contributor
Meg E. T Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
7 of 16

Agreed about seeking advice,

However, it is RIDICULOUS that the Buyer/Client gets a copy of the invoice but the Freelancer/Seller does not. What is the harm in Freelancers having the invoice? Why the secrecy? If the option is there for the Freelancer to download/print the invoice, then if you don't need it, you don't have to get it. But if you do need it, then it's a huge problem not to have the ability.

UPWORK PLEASE FIX THIS NOW!!!!

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
8 of 16

@Meg E. T wrote:

However, it is RIDICULOUS that the Buyer/Client gets a copy of the invoice but the Freelancer/Seller does not. What is the harm in Freelancers having the invoice? Why the secrecy? If the option is there for the Freelancer to download/print the invoice, then if you don't need it, you don't have to get it. But if you do need it, then it's a huge problem not to have the ability.

UPWORK PLEASE FIX THIS NOW!!!!

Meg, you might find more information in this thread: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Name-on-a-received-invoice/m-p/125113#U125113

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
9 of 16

@Joachim M wrote:

@Meg E. T wrote:

However, it is RIDICULOUS that the Buyer/Client gets a copy of the invoice but the Freelancer/Seller does not....If the option is there for the Freelancer to download/print the invoice, then if you don't need it, you don't have to get it. But if you do need it, then it's a huge problem not to have the ability.

Meg, you might find more information in this thread: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Clients/Name-on-a-received-invoice/m-p/125113#U125113

Joachim, I get an access denied message from that link.

Do you have any further comment on lack of access to invoices? Though Upwork issues them, they are issued on our behalf for services we provide. It seems at best peculiar to withhold them from us (I'm accepting at face value the assertion that Upwork does so).

Thanks and best,

Michael

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
10 of 16

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

@Joachim M wrote:

@Meg E. T wrote:

However, it is RIDICULOUS that the Buyer/Client gets a copy of the invoice but the Freelancer/Seller does not....If the option is there for the Freelancer to download/print the invoice, then if you don't need it, you don't have to get it. But if you do need it, then it's a huge problem not to have the ability.

Joachim, I get an access denied message from that link.

Do you have any further comment on lack of access to invoices? Though Upwork issues them, they are issued on our behalf for services we provide. It seems at best peculiar to withhold them from us (I'm accepting at face value the assertion that Upwork does so).

Thanks and best,

Michael

Hi Michael,

I get the same message. Looks like links aren't working. The thread is in the "Client" section of the Community Discussions and named "Name on received invoices".

Actually Upwork denies us access to them even though they are issued by Upwork. I got in touch with CS on this and they argued with data protection. Looks like with this argument the client data are being shielded against the freelancer but not vice versa. It really is strange especially coming from a company located in a country where data protection is not taken seriously. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS