cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Accidently sent my payments to non-existing paypal account.

ameen210
Meenu B Member Since: Nov 30, 2016
1 of 12

Hello guys!

I just made my first earnings  and by mistake I sent all my money to a non-existing PayPal account.

So, I first contacted Upwork regarding this. Upwork told me to contact PayPal and cancel the withdrawal.

When I contacted PayPal, they said they are unable to help as the transaction is not made through PayPal 

and that I don't have a PayPal account. Now my Upwork account has 0 balance. I have no idea where my money is?

I see lot of guys facing the same problem maybe because Paypal doesn't work in some countries. Therefore, I request the Upwork team to resolve this problem ASAP. This is really frustrating. Please help!

Thanks!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 12

Next time, send money only to a real PayPal account that you control.

Nobody at PayPal or Upwork wants to deal with this.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 12

Why, in heaven's name, would you deliberately, willingly, and knowingly set up a PayPal account as your withdrawal method when you do not have a PayPal account, and then withdraw your money to it?

Isn't that like taking a bundle of cash, throwing it in the nearest toilet, and flushing it, and then demanding that the local sewage works get back your money for you?

kfarnell
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
4 of 12

You will have to be patient. If no Paypal account is linked with the email address you supplied, the money will be unclaimed and should be returned to Upwork but that takes about 30 days. Once Upwork has the money, you can withdraw it again. 

tovalisha
Tova L Member Since: Feb 26, 2018
5 of 12
When the money is returned to Upwork after thirty days will it be returned automatically to my account?
tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
6 of 12

@Kim F wrote:

You will have to be patient. If no Paypal account is linked with the email address you supplied, the money will be unclaimed and should be returned to Upwork but that takes about 30 days. Once Upwork has the money, you can withdraw it again. 

Actually, I've received paypal transactions at email addresses that weren't linked. The notifying email says that in order to receive the funds, you have to set up an account or tie the email address to an existing account. So, if someone uses that email address, there's a fair chance that he or she will simply register and collect the funds.

shannonxtreme
Shannon K Member Since: Nov 30, 2016
7 of 12

If the PayPal account you sent the payment to doesn't exist, the payment will probably be returned to your account when the transaction doesn't go through. Contact Upwork Help and Support and chat to an agent about your options. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 12

Hi Meenu,

In order for a PayPal withdrawal to be returned to Upwork, the transaction would need to be refunded on PayPal side.

Before sending earnings to PayPal, please make sure your country is supported, confirm your PayPal account, and complete any necessary verification process with them. You are responsible for making sure that PayPal provides the services you need before you send your money to them. Only send your earnings from Upwork to PayPal once you know you can access your money after the transfer.

~ Valeria
Upwork
mahmoud-abubakr
Mahmoud A Member Since: Jul 22, 2017
9 of 12

I'm facing the same problem RIGHT NOW, the problem is that upwork sent the money automatically without a prior warning, I was busy with my sister's wedding and after I'm done I logged in to find my balance 0.00, even worse it's telling me that I have approved the request!

I worked a lot to make this money and I wanna know if there is any possible solution for this? Did I lose my money?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 12

Mahmoud,

The payment is sent automatically either according to the payment schedule you've set up or 180 days after the payment became available on your account. Unfortunately, Upwork isn't able to keep users' money indefinitely. Please communicate with PayPal customer support to retrieve your money.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS