Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account Suspension

velkovb
Borislav V Member Since: Oct 16, 2017
1 of 5

Hello fellow freelancers,

I wanted to share with you with disapointment what Upwork did to me yesterday.

I wake up and login to check whether there are any available jobs. With surprise I find that my account has been suspended, Here is part of the message I got:

"We are contacting you to let you know we have suspended your access to Upwork indefinitely.

Our decision is based on a careful review and the fact that you have submitted a high number of proposals for jobs on our site without many contracts or earnings. Unfortunately, this means the jobs posted by clients are not a good match for your skills."

At the same time I have 1 active contract and 2 active candidacies. I wrote a complain and they re-enabled my account. When I logged in all my proposals and  candidacies where withdrawn. I was at the final phase on one of them but now the client does not even reply to me because I had to re-apply to the job and explain what has happened.

Now all the jobs I have applied recently are lost and their algorithm is probably going to suspend my account again because I did not get enough contracts because they are preventing me from getting them.

Borislav Velkov

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 5

Hi Borislav,

I'm sorry to hear you're frustrated with the recent changes of your account status. Please note that you can still communicate with prospective clients from your active candidacies by following up in the message room created for the interview.

Untitled
velkovb
Borislav V Member Since: Oct 16, 2017
3 of 5

Hi Vladimir,

I know I can but hte question here is will the client want to communicate with me any longer. The answer is no. Probably if I were in their shoes I would do the same - freelancer that got his account suspended probably is not trustworthy.

Even if the communication continues there needs to be a new proposal from my side or invitation from the client.

Anyway I just wanted to share this so that other people can see how Upwork treates freelancers. I do not have a paid membership but Upwork has made enough money from me from the cotnracts I have completed and I do not think I have deserved this.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 5

Unless you told clients that your account was suspended they would not know, and at least you DID get your account back.

@Borislav V wrote:

I do not have a paid membership but Upwork has made enough money from me from the cotnracts I have completed and I do not think I have deserved this.

you’re kidding, right? You’ve billed way below $ 1000 in 2 years. That’s more or less nothing in terms of “making money for Upwork” and the exact reason your account was suspended in the first place: It is unprofitable.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
5 of 5

Hi Borislav,

I understand the issue an account suspension can create but I do see the client followed up on your messages. You don't need to submit a new proposal and can ask your client to use the Hire Now button on your profile to send you a direct offer.

You can read more about the ongoing campaign of addressing accounts that don’t show work activity here.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS