🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Account deleted because of Age Restriction
Page options
pedrohpb
Community Member

Account deleted because of Age Restriction

So, apparently I was underage when i created my Upwork account, I've never really used it until this  past month where i really tried to get some work, when I finally was ready to start a job I get an email saying they're deleting my account because I was underage back then, I'm 20 right now, this doesn't make any sense, why making me create a new account and losing the job I had to do? Is there any way to get my old account back?

5 REPLIES 5
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Pedro,

All Upwork users must be 18 or older. Therefore if an account owner is younger than 18, due to privacy and legal requirements their account will be closed and the account information deleted. Once they have reached 18 they are able to sign up for a new account. Unfortunately they won't be able to revive the account they created when they were underage.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
tlbp
Community Member

Bojan S wrote:

Hi Pedro,

All Upwork users must be 18 or older. Therefore if an account owner is younger than 18, due to privacy and legal requirements their account will be closed and the account information deleted. Once they have reached 18 they are able to sign up for a new account. Unfortunately they won't be able to revive the account they created when they were underage.

Thank you! 

Are those who attempted to create an account while underage allowed to create a new account once they are over 18? Or are the banned from Upwork permanently? 

Hi Tonya,

As Bojan has shared,  once the account holder has reached 18, they can sign up for a new account. So, yes, they will be able to create a new account and work on Upwork.

~ Joanne
Upwork

I think that's fair.

I understand why Upwork doesn't want anybody under age 18 creating and using a freelancer account.

But I'm happy to see them given a "clean slate" when they turn 18.

It is interesting that they aren't allowed to simply begin using their originally-created account. I'm not sure I understand what the downside to that would be. It seems that there would be some benefit simply because then there would be a higher degree of across-the-board consistency to the policy that Upwork freelancer's can only create one account ever, and not create new accounts.

Doesn't matter to me, personally, of course. Because I'm not somebody who will ever personally face this issue. Just making an observation.

They cannot use their original account because there needs to be a punishment, or else people that get caught don't risk anything.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths