cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account flagged saying I misrepresented my skills, experiences, and/or certifications.

Sagar S Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
1 of 8

This almost seems like a joke. My account got flagged yesterday saying I have misrepresented my skills as a PHP developer.

Now, I have been a PHP developer since day one when I joined Upwork (then Odesk) 4 years ago and I have worked on hunders of job using PHP. Did Upwork even check my profile and client history before flagging my account.

And I know the reason they might have flagged my account. There was one client I worked with and it was a very unpleasant expreince working with her and I left a 1 star review. And later on she kept nagging me about this and kept saying she was going to logde a complaint with Upwork. 

My question is did Upwork even fact check any of her claims before flagging my account. Just a glance at my work history would have been enough.

Now my profile is set to private and I am being warned that I should update my profile and if I don't my account will be suspended. 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
2 of 8

I'm sorry to learn about the limitation to your account, Sagar. I am unable to share more information about this for privacy reasons, which I hope you understand. I checked your account and can see that you already have an open ticket regarding this issue. I would recommend that you continue communicating with the team about this through your support ticket so that they can assist you further. 

-Avery
Untitled
3 of 8
I got the same response again. The upwork people didn't even properly read my comments on this matter. They just copied and pasted the same thing again saying I should update my profile.

What does upwork what me to update? Do they want me to stop working on PHP projects from now on, even though I have successfully completed 100+ PHP projects in the past, just because an angry client made a false accusation?
Jeeve G Member Since: Mar 14, 2019
4 of 8

Hi Sagar, I received a "Flagged account"  message from Upwork and immediately I started searching for answers, as I don't know how this would impact my Upwork account moving forward. I am led into this thread and reading the details of your situation, I felt we have a quite a similar situation, in my case a rogue client flagged my account because I declined his job due to I cannot agree with the terms of his job. It appears that this rogue 2-star client wants to get revenge by flagging my account since he was not able to hire me.

Would you share your experience or anyone reading my post regarding having an account being "flagged" by a rogue client and how this can be dealt with? I am not sure what happen to my account and how this will impact my profile JSS since this is the first time that has happened to me. Please advise. Many thanks.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 8

Jeeve G wrote:

Hi Sagar, I received a "Flagged account"  message from Upwork and immediately I started searching for answers, as I don't know how this would impact my Upwork account moving forward.

Where did you receive that message?

Jeeve G Member Since: Mar 14, 2019
6 of 8

Hi Petra, I received the message via email. I replied to that email but as of this writing, I have not yet received their feedback.

This is my first time to have received a message that my account has been flagged. And moving forward I don't know what will happen to my account. How long will it take? What actions that I need to do? How will this impact my Upwork profile and will my account be limited?  Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
7 of 8

Hi Jeeve, 

I checked your account and can confirm that this is unrelated from Sagar's experience. I will go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case so that they can get back to you soon with more information about your account. 

-Avery
Untitled
8 of 8

I opened a ticket and talked with Upwork support and the issue was resolved.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS