cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account frozen

Highlighted
Oleg F Member Since: Jan 25, 2016
1 of 6

Man, this is a wall of text. Sorry for that. I'd love to provide a tl;dr but I don't think it's possible here - the full story is important

Hello people!

So 20 days ago the financial side of my account was put on hold. The upwork risk managment team asked me to provide information about one of my client and the work I did for them.

The contract with this client was simple: basically I needed to do his homework for $4. (this was my first contract btw!) So I did this work and everything went perfectly. Also after that the client did not appear online again as far as I know (which makes sence: he just needed to do one assignment and he got it)

After that I needed to complete the verification which I did successfully.

The upwork team did not say why my account is frozen but I've found some similar cases of other people's accounts being frozen and now I realize that the upwork must suspect me of duplicate account.

This is fine. I understand that this could look suspicious from some point of view. I even understand why I'm seen as guilty until proven innocence

What I don't understand is why after I completed my verification and it got accepted I'm still frozen.

After my verification got accepted the upwork team asked me to wait while they're waiting for client to appear online... I asked them for how long they're going to wait and I got no reply for 4 days. After that the status of the support ticket was set to "solved" even though my account was still frozen.

I don't know what to do now. I've worked a lot for the 20 days I've been frozen because I only have this work. That's why I need to solve this ASAP - I need to pay my rent.

Can I be sure that my account ever will be reinstated?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 6

Doing someone's homework is a serious policy violation called Academic Fraud.....

@Oleg F wrote:

Can I be sure that my account ever will be reinstated?

No.

Keep your fingers crossed, but if they do reinstate you it would be wise not to pull another stunt like that.

Highlighted
3 of 6
Thanks for your reply, Petra

To be honest my client never said this work was for academic purposes. I just over simplified what I had to do. Sorry for misleading

Still this is interesting. If someone asks to do their homework for then on Upwork then both of the accounts will be frozen?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 6

Any serious policy violation can get you suspended.

but here it sounds more like the "client" was the main problem, possibly because they used a credit card of PayPal account thez had no authority to use (an educated guess) and suspected some sort of connection between you and the client.

Really all you can do now is be patient and see how this pans out.

Do not open any new tickets, follow up through your existing ticket and be careful in future.

Highlighted
5 of 6

Thanks for the advice.

I'm trying to only reply to the support if nessesary. I understand how frustrating it must be for the support.

I'm willing to wait, I just want to know for sure whether or not my account will be reinstated some day, because now I'm working actively and need to know if I'm getting any money for it...

I'll be glad o give back the $4 for this to go away now Smiley Very Happy but I understand that's not how this works.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 6

Hi Oleg,

Thank you for completing ID verification. Somebody from our team will follow up on your ticket as soon as we complete the review process.

Thank you for your patience.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS