🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Account got suspended and I genuinely thi...
Page options
a7973c1a
Community Member

Account got suspended and I genuinely think its wrong.

I was one of the very first freelancers to register when Upwork got started. Back then, I had barely got out of college and would mostly work as a designer.  Designing is an iterative process and at times it is very difficult to know the personal preference of a client in regards to design.

Wary of this fact, I would talk about this issue first hand with my intended clients. Telling them something like “I would continue to revise the designs I create for you at no additional cost, until we get to the one you like the most”. And at the same time I would also urge them to “Refrain from giving me negative feedback if you don’t like my designs at all”

I was even willing to cancel the job all together without getting paid a penny if I didn’t end up creating the design of choice for the client. With this approach I first became a rising talent and then a top rated freelancer.

Eventually Upwork came to know about it and suspended my first account a few years ago, telling me I have abused the rating feature of Upwork. It was sad to see that, and there wasn’t much I could do to reinstate my previous account and now I know I was wrong and I admit my mistake.

I had learned my lesson and wanted to make a fresh start, so I went to the live chat of Upwork support back then and asked them that even though they had suspended my account. “Can I go ahead and create a new one?” and they said “YES”. This YES was another opportunity for me and I went ahead and started a fresh new account using the same name and identity etc. I was asked to upload a government issued ID document to verify my name, which I did. I was also asked to come online on video to verify and I did that too. Everything went normal and I got approved.

With 0 earnings and no ratings I got started and eventually became a Top rated freelancer with a 100% job success score. I worked really hard for all these three years to maintain that level.

Everything was going normal and I was always extra cautious to make sure I don’t violate the TOS of upwork in anyway again. I even refrained from sending too many proposals because I knew freelancer’s accounts have been suspended for that as well.

Untill, yesterday, I got an email out of the blue, telling me that my latest account also got permanently suspended because I have two accounts at Upwork and according to the TOS freelancers are not suppose to have more than one account.

Now, I am not sure if I really deserve this, and if there is a chance for me to get my hard earned account back. But I have scouted the community center of Upwork and seen people getting their accounts back from a much worse situation.

So, if there is anyone from within the staff of Upwork who’d feel for me and believe I should be given a chance to continue at upwork, Please look into my situation. I have always believed in Upwork and considered it my own. This shock is unbearable as I have tried my level best not to violate the TOS with this latest account. I know even posting this thread might be a violation since I had to create another account to be able to post this… But I am willing to close this account and do whatever it takes to get things right. Please consider.

8 REPLIES 8
colettelewis
Community Member

Kaiser K wrote:

I was one of the very first freelancers to register when Upwork got started. Back then, I had barely got out of college and would mostly work as a designer.  Designing is an iterative process and at times it is very difficult to know the personal preference of a client in regards to design.

[...]

So, if there is anyone from within the staff of Upwork who’d feel for me and believe I should be given a chance to continue at upwork, Please look into my situation. I have always believed in Upwork and considered it my own. This shock is unbearable as I have tried my level best not to violate the TOS with this latest account. I know even posting this thread might be a violation since I had to create another account to be able to post this… But I am willing to close this account and do whatever it takes to get things right. Please consider.

I have flagged your post for a mod to intervene; But don't get your hopes up too much. If CS really did give you that advice, which was completely wrong, you must show it to whoever deals with your problem. 

But you have broken one of Upwork's cardinal rules, and perhaps should have double-checked before opening another account. 

I believe ANYONE from within Upwork.com staff would be able to pull my records and see it for themselves. I would cooperate to the best of my extent.

Regarding the cardinal rule of Upwork, I wouldn't have created this second account in the first place if I wasn't told to "go ahead and create a new account" and it was clarified that I was "Banned for life".

I also had NO INTENTIONS to cheat the system since I created the new account with the same name, id and same email TLD.

I am very surprised to see that it took them three years to figure out I was the same person but with another account and that I should be banned, despite the fact that I have verified my identity both via a live video feed and also uploaded the govt issued ID.

Lastly, who'd double check when they are desperate and the leading authority itself gives them a green light to go ahead and create a new account?

Hi Kaiser, 

Please send me a PM with more information so I can check this for you. You can PM me by clicking on my name. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Kaiser, the point is, you broke the rules - end of. The fact that you got away with it is beside the point. The only thing you have in your favour is your alleged assertion that CS gave you the wrong information. 

I sincerely hope it was a misunderstanding, and perhaps you can go on working here. But your second post shows you as a whining, self-justifying person, who has an extraordinary sense of entitlement despite having broken the rules twice. 

I don't want to impose or self-justify.

But like I said earlier, "people have gotten back their accounts after being suspended", and if there is a tiny bit of chance for me to get mine as well, I would like to avail that chance.

I actually hope it works out for you, but you should also bear in mind that a cat only has nine lives. Smiley Wink

Nichola L wrote:

I actually hope it works out for you, but you should also bear in mind that a cat only has nine lives. Smiley Wink

You are right and thank you for your replies and help. Highly appreciate it. I am hoping for the best... 🤗

Nichola L wrote:

Kaiser, the point is, you broke the rules - end of.

I would hardly consider that "end of" if OP did in fact break the rules on the direct instructions of an Upwork employee.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths