🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Account issues
Page options
Community Member

Account issues

Hello, as I was trying to set up payment methods for my account I found out that I am not even allowed to have an account on Upwork as I am underage (almost 17). Since nothing stopped me from proceeding when I was creating the account (no popups, no notifications showing up when entering the birth date) I didn't even know that was a problem until I specifically searched for it today.

That brings me to the 2 questions I have now:

1. How do I proceed? I have recently been hired to a job after weeks of tests. But now obviously I can't do the job as my account is a violation of the terms. Do I tell the client that my account will be blocked and I will no longer be able to enter it or will they be informed when my account is already suspended?

2. Why does it allow underage people like me to create an account in the first place? When entering the birth date it doesn't even restrict further submission if the person is underage, so people like me find out about that when it's already too late.

I know the age restriction is written clearly in Terms of Service, but if I'm being honest and speaking on behalf of many other people, rarely does anyone read beyond the first two or three sentences in the Terms of Service document. There needs to be some sort of notification or a restriction popup when an underage person enters their birth date when joining Upwork.

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ani,

Unfortunately, you can’t use the site at the moment. Upwork requires users to be 18 years or older to utilize the site. Please check this Help Article.

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to further address your questions. 

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members