🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Account name mismatch
Page options
stevegrant1983
Community Member

Account name mismatch

I am having trouble setting up my limited company details on the system - the VAT number, which I have verified on the EU website provided in the FAQs, continually gets rejected, despite it matching the company name and address I have provided, and when I try to add my bank account I get an account name mismatch.

Please can somebody help. I appreciate the site was originally set up for US users, but with many UK freelancers and agencies now using the system, surely there needs to be processes that recognise the differences between how freelancers and their companies operate in the UK.

5 REPLIES 5
jr-translation
Community Member

Steve G wrote:

I am having trouble setting up my limited company details on the system - the VAT number, which I have verified on the EU website provided in the FAQs, continually gets rejected, despite it matching the company name and address I have provided, and when I try to add my bank account I get an account name mismatch.

Please can somebody help. I appreciate the site was originally set up for US users, but with many UK freelancers and agencies now using the system, surely there needs to be processes that recognise the differences between how freelancers and their companies operate in the UK.

Have you checked if you use the same name for the bank account and tax information?

My profile first name is *slightly* different to the name on my bank account (Steve, my preferred name, vs Stephen, the name on my birth certificate) - the full name is obviously on my bank account, passport, etc, so are Upwork saying that I have to use the name I never use professionally on my profile??

Steve G wrote:

My profile first name is *slightly* different to the name on my bank account (Steve, my preferred name, vs Stephen, the name on my birth certificate) - the full name is obviously on my bank account, passport, etc, so are Upwork saying that I have to use the name I never use professionally on my profile??

Do you have a seperate bank account for your limited company? If your "legal name of business" is the same as on the bank account, it does not matter which first name you go by.

Yes I do, all of my work goes through my limited company, which has its own bank account under the same name as the company - there's no "trading as" name or anything like that.

Hi Steve,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members