Account suspension

j_muiruri
Community Leader
Joseph G Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
1 of 6

Hi community,

I need your help here.
I don’t understand this at all.

When one opens account in upwork, he or she starts applying for jobs. We all know freelancers are in very big number than clients so one can take a long time before landing into the first project. On other hand, when someone applies a certain number of projects without being hired, upwork suspends that account. What can new freelancers do to hit their goals here?

I have my friend who is a victim to this and the worse thing is that, he landed into his first project yesterday at around 21:30. Today in the morning he found in his profile that "your account has been suspended" and already he has work in progress.

Can someone let me understand this please, is upwork worth in reactivating his account?

Thanks.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 6

Joseph:

If you are frustrated or confused by this situation, it is understandable.

But you will not be able to request help on behalf of your friend. He will need to get help directly.

j_muiruri
Community Leader
Joseph G Member Since: Nov 26, 2014
3 of 6

You know one day i can fall in the same trap. I just wanted to know how to deal with! Can upwork suspend my account while i have work in progress? is it fair? What makes them to do so?

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4 of 6

Upwork requires video verification of identities of some (maybe all) new freelancers. As I understand it, this requirement is not issued until that freelancer lands a gig.  Is it possible that your friend's account has been suspended pending this video confirmation process? 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 6

Hi Joseph,

I understand your concern. Please, note that their is an appeal process that the freelancer can follow if their account is suspended. Also, they should still be able to complete their active contracts and get their paid as usual.

~ Valeria
Upwork
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 6

Joseph, it's not a big deal. If a person applies to many jobs on Upwork, or on any other place, without success or with very little success, then the place where this person is seeking jobs is not worth his or her time.

And since this means that this person hasn't been successful on Upwork, this person is not missing out anything by being excluded from the platform.

This doesn't mean that this person failed, it just means that Upwork is not the right place for this person.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS