🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Accounting/Bookkeeping Reduced Work
Page options
3bc53a90
Community Member

Accounting/Bookkeeping Reduced Work

Hi All Accounting/Bookkeeping/Finance professionals -

when I first joined Upwork in early 2023 I got so many jobs I could hardly keep up and it was looking very promising that I could make a living as a freelancer.  Then around mid-year, everything dried up or I just wasn't getting responses to my proposals.  Now I have stats and a good job success score, a top rated badge, but struggling.  Is this a normal thing to get work at the beginning or is there something else going on.  I'm boosting most of my proposals if that means anything (not sure it does).  I've read that many fields are affected by the AI revolution, but not sure that the accounting field is.  As a further point of information, I only apply to jobs that are posted for US candidates so that I am not competing with overseas candidates.  Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fe9b8d82
Community Member

You're definitely not alone in this your experience.  When I first started in mid 2022, there were lots of excellent clients who were offering good pay and hiring professionals for legal projects.  Starting in about early 2023, I noticed a decline in the quality and amount of jobs posted, as well as a sizable dip in the amount of views/responses I got to submissions.  I'm pretty convinced that top rated plus and a 100% JSS mean about nothing when it comes to getting clients now to view proposals.  Like you, I only work with clients looking for US based talent.

The "bow down before your AI overlords" crowd will chime in I'm sure (one super irritating person in particular), but at least for legal work, Chat GPTurd hasn't replaced attorneys, so I seriously doubt that your decline in work is due to AI.

I have my own theories about why clients don't hire, but a really good start for this platform would be some sort of gatekeeping to filter out the multitude of talentless "freelancers."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
fe9b8d82
Community Member

You're definitely not alone in this your experience.  When I first started in mid 2022, there were lots of excellent clients who were offering good pay and hiring professionals for legal projects.  Starting in about early 2023, I noticed a decline in the quality and amount of jobs posted, as well as a sizable dip in the amount of views/responses I got to submissions.  I'm pretty convinced that top rated plus and a 100% JSS mean about nothing when it comes to getting clients now to view proposals.  Like you, I only work with clients looking for US based talent.

The "bow down before your AI overlords" crowd will chime in I'm sure (one super irritating person in particular), but at least for legal work, Chat GPTurd hasn't replaced attorneys, so I seriously doubt that your decline in work is due to AI.

I have my own theories about why clients don't hire, but a really good start for this platform would be some sort of gatekeeping to filter out the multitude of talentless "freelancers."

I think part of the problem is the hourly rate model offered by the platform. There are youtubers advertising that anyone can become a bookkeeper and then others saying that the hourly rate on upwork doesn't matter. 

As a CPA, I would prefer to bill my clients at a monthly retainer rate. I'd be happy to share that with Upwork, but the milestone billing process requires the client to constantly log in to fund milestones. The hourly billing model encourages the clients to hire unqualified overseas bookkeepers. Several of my clients have used the overseas bookkeepers with poor results.  

When I talk to others with successful practices, they all tell me to avoid Upwork. I tried to move an hourly client to monthly this week. They pushed back, treated me like an hourly employee, not an accountant, rewrote my engagement letter. I fired them. They will probably be posting the position soon.

Good morning David,

I am in total agreement of what you are saying. The problem that I am having is most bookkeepers try to partner with EA's or CPA's. Now most of the above are now doing their own Accounting/Bookkeeping. Most of those aren't partnering with a bookkeeper. That is really fustrating when you try and market your business.

You at least know our worth as bookkeepers. That is usually the case we bill the client directly a flat fee monthly. 

We may not be able to do this or is unethical but, I would love to partner with you. I have 12 years experience. I am very meticulous about my work. I will deliver excellent work. 

Thanks

95f383bf
Community Member

Hi everyone!

I just start upgraded to the plus version and was wanting to see how you had sucess getting clients. I stated with the free version and was able to score one clinet about a year ago. Have not had any sucess with the free verions. Now that I have upgraged its been a bit slow with my perposal feed back.  Could it be my rate or my profile? I feel like I rate is far for my level of experance.

Any feed back would be appricated.

Thanks

Miguel

Just looked at your profile - If you aren't a CPA, you may need to start your rate a little lower than what is posted on your profile in order to get some clients and experience on Upwork.  I started my rate at $35 per hour just to get started and get some clients on upwork - then you can increase your rate from there once you get ratings and experience.

Cynthia H,

Thanks for your response its much appreciated! I though about lowering my rate before but don't want to sell myself short. I will see if I can gain more traction lowing my rate. 
Thanks again!

Hi there, i am new to this but a CPA, would appreciate any guidance on how to get my first job/work.

Thanks, Jude

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members