Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Accounts being suspended because of too many proposals

Ace Contributor
Leon Z Member Since: May 3, 2016
1 of 105

I am a member of a Facebook group for Upwork freelancers and I see way too many complaints lately about their accounts being indefinitely suspended because of too many proposals. I myself am not afflicted by this latest trend, but it bothers me that many good workers are.

 

1. Why do you give 60 connects (30 proposals) per month if you suspend accounts after only 10 unsuccessful bids?

 

2. Are you aware of the fact that many of the jobs are fake? I personally came across numerous clients who had 4-5 posted jobs with 0% hires. Some of them are looking for free work (and unfortunately, they often get it), some are doing it for the research purposes to see what would their competitors charge for a certain job (found it on several blogs as a good advice to succeed in freelancing), and some are...well, douchebags who do it so their competitors lose connects.

 

Why should freelancers be penalized on account of irresponsible, and often malevolent clients? Your response is something along the lines "Your skills are not wanted" or "you are not good enough". This is not always true, due to the reasons I stated above.

 

3. Every story I've heard is the same. They were all baffled by the suspension. They had a 100% complete profile, a thing or two in their portfolio, and they haven't done anything against the rules. Some of them even had several jobs in their history. And then, out of the blue, boom! Their account is suspended, their Upwork career destroyed. Nothing can be done to overturn this decision.

 

Why don't you give a warning to people who sent several unsuccessful bids in a row? Something like: "Hey, we noticed that you've sent 5 proposals in a row and didn't get the job. Maybe you should take a break this month and work on your profile: Add more tests to your profile, upgrade your portfolio, adjust your hourly rate, etc. If your unsuccessful bidding continues, we will be forced to suspend your account indefinitely."

 

You know, maybe add a personal touch to this. I mean, some people have nothing else in their lives and this might be their only (potential) source of income. And you erase them with a single sentence and tell them they are not good enough when you know that's not always the reason why they can't land a job. When you do it the way you do, it looks like some kind of a program (Terminator) is tracking unsuccessful freelancers and erases them without a shred of mercy or the possibility of appeal.

 

No matter how good you are, sometimes it's very easy to get rejected 10 times in a row, especially if you are looking for your first job. I don't know how are things in America, but where I come from, people with college diplomas, and sometimes even doctorates, get rejected dozens of times before they find their first job.

 

What would you say to a person in real life who says: "Dude, I applied for like 10 jobs and most of them haven't even responded! I'm obviously not good enough so I'm done with the whole job-searching thing. I'm gonna apply for a welfare program and live with my parents!"

 

I realize that there are many freelancers who bid with copy paste proposals on every single job they come across, without even reading the description, and they should be suspended, no doubt. But the people I heard from, genuinely tried to find their first job and wrote appropriate proposals. They shouldn't be all put in the same recycle bin.

Community Guru
Mike Y Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
2 of 105

I don't remember i've heard this story (about suspension) from any of my friends being on UW, but i do see a huge list of submitted proposals without any client response, significant amount of them - is a waste of connects

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo
Moderator
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 105

Leon Z wrote:

 

1. Why do you give 60 connects (30 proposals) per month if you suspend accounts after only 10 unsuccessful bids?

 


 Hi Leaon,

 

Please note that the information you shared is certainly not accurate and I'm afraid there's a lot of misconception about the limited number of accounts which are currently being addressed. Please refer to announcement Garnor posted and follow up clarification posted by our team, and I'm sure you'll find the actual process vastly different from the one you described.

Active Member
Jam H Member Since: Apr 22, 2015
4 of 105

That's strange, someone I know got suspended even if he still had connects left. What is the purpose of connects then?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 105

Jam H wrote:

That's strange, someone I know got suspended even if he still had connects left. What is the purpose of connects then?


 Winning Jobs. What's the point of giving connects to people who spend them and don't create profit (for Upwork) spending them.

 

Connects are a bit like shelfspace in a store. No point giving shelfspace to products that aren't bought, or are stolen a lot, or serve as an irritant to customers.

 

It's the same with freelancers. Those that clients don't hire just create noise and those who take clients off-site are defrauding the site and all honest freelancers.

 

So it's best to remove such freelancers. If they're not winning jobs it does them a favour by saving them from wasting their time.

 

Active Member
Jam H Member Since: Apr 22, 2015
6 of 105

The person I know applied for a project on Freelancer and got it.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 105

 


Leon Z wrote:

I am a member of a Facebook group for Upwork freelancers and I see way too many complaints lately about their accounts being indefinitely suspended because of too many proposals. (...) if you suspend accounts after only 10 unsuccessful bids?

 

2. Are you aware of the fact that many of the jobs are fake?

 

(...)

 

some people have nothing else in their lives and this might be their only (potential) source of income.


 

I strongly doubt that they are suspended for 10 failed proposals. You should take what you read on the Internets with a grain of salt.

 

I agree that a warning prior suspension would be a nice addition to this program.

 

That being said, how comes that most of the successful freelancers don't worry about fake jobs? Because they win jobs on a regular basis and thus face no suspension.

 

You guys make the whole thing sound like Upwork has only fake jobs. First I can tell you for sure that this is not the case and many other successful freelancers here have the same experience. Second, those people who say that, what are they doing on Upwork on the first place?

 

And to answer one of your concerns Leon, about people who have nothing else in their lives and this might be their only (potential) source of income, those are perfectly safe. They are earning money, so they won't be suspended.

 

Those who are suspended are those who earn no money. Upwork is not their only source of income. It's not their source of income at all. And it's not their potential source of income. Upwork is not a potential source of income. Either you earn money here, or you don't.

 

And people who can't land a job despite sending out tons of proposals (and again, no, Upwork won't suspend you if you fail with 10 proposals), are those who can't sell because, a) they have no clue about how to sell and just make white noise, b) have no skills at all (only false skills from stolen portfolio & profiles).

 

Leon, forget about Facebook and let losers moan. You're a successful freelancer. I appreciate your empathy but you have only one side of the story. And freelancing is all about skills and competition. There are winners and there are losers. This is an extremely Darwinian environment where you have to be fit, smart and where you need to learn and adapt fast. It's not for everybody. People who spend all their day complaining, demanding that Upwork do something to get them jobs are not meant to last here.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Ace Contributor
Leon Z Member Since: May 3, 2016
8 of 105

@Vladimir

 

I just described what I've been told from freelancers who experienced this. I've read the announcement.

 

@Rene

 

Same thing, I described what I've been told. Maybe it's more than 10 proposals (how much?). I still think there should be a warning before a suspension so that the freelancer has the opportunity to do something about it, if possible. 

 

I myself am doing just fine on Upwork so it would be stupid of me to claim that all or even most jobs are fake. I know they're not. But it is a fact that a certain percent of jobs is fake and that thousands and thousands of connects are wasted each month. And I don't see that Upwork is doing much about it. Do clients with 0% hire rate ever get banned after a certain number of posted jobs? Because that would be fair.

 

Anyway, thank you both for the replies. I hope that both clients and freelancers will continue to benefit from Upwork.

Highlighted
Moderator
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 105

Leon Z wrote:

 

Do clients with 0% hire rate ever get banned after a certain number of posted jobs? Because that would be fair.


 Yes, I can confirm do take action against bad clients Leon.

Community Guru
Mike Y Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
10 of 105

Rene K wrote:

 


And people who can't land a job despite sending out tons of proposals (and again, no, Upwork won't suspend you if you fail with 10 proposals), are those who can't sell because, a) they have no clue about how to sell and just make white noise, b) have no skills at all (only false skills from stolen portfolio & profiles).


 there are c) and d) in that list as well, clients and upwork are there too, being a cause for low conversion rate

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS