🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Action required: Withdrawal methods are curre...
Page options
8dea457b
Community Member

Action required: Withdrawal methods are currently inactive. Please provide your tax information to w

Hi, I am a self-employed person who resides outside of the United States. I am in Africa, more precisely in the Democratic Republic of Congo. After some time, I receive this message: Action required: Methods of withdrawal are not active at the moment. Please provide your tax data in order to withdraw your profits. You can consult our FAQs for more information.
I made my first withdrawal of $9 to my Payoneer account a few years ago and am expecting a new payment in a few days. However, I'm wondering if Upwork can resolve my withdrawal account issue requesting tax information that I don't have. I am only a Freenlacer and not a US citizen. I do not have any tax information to provide because I am self-employed in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Polycarpe,

I checked and it looks like you have not completed the W-8BEN Form. The W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E are U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. Persons. We and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork. You must have this form on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork.

Without these forms as proof that you are a non-U.S. Person, Upwork will be required to withhold up to 30% of your future earnings on Upwork and send that withholding tax to the IRS. As long as a valid W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E form is filled out completely, we are not required to withhold U.S. income tax. You can check this page for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JoanneP

Hi Polycarpe,

I checked and it looks like you have not completed the W-8BEN Form. The W-8BEN and W-8BEN-E are U.S. tax forms for non-U.S. Persons. We and the IRS use them to determine whether you live in the U.S. and what taxes, if any, we need to collect from your earnings on Upwork. You must have this form on file before you can withdraw earnings from Upwork.

Without these forms as proof that you are a non-U.S. Person, Upwork will be required to withhold up to 30% of your future earnings on Upwork and send that withholding tax to the IRS. As long as a valid W-8BEN/W-8BEN-E form is filled out completely, we are not required to withhold U.S. income tax. You can check this page for more information. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
8dea457b
Community Member

Thank you for your message, it is well understood and problem resolved.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members