cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Candidacies | Help Needed

Community Leader
Asif R Member Since: Jan 7, 2015
1 of 7

I have an active Candidacy from last 4 x days and client is not replying. May I declined this job or wait for him?

Asif Rehman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
2 of 7

A candidacy is nothing more than a client having initiated contact with you. Don't spend all your time waiiting for the client to come back as you may never hear from them again. Just forget about them and carry on doing what you normally do until they (possibly) make contact with you again.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 7

You can do anything you want if you have an active candidacy and a client is not replying.

If you have a button that allows you to accept or decline the job, then it means the ball is in YOUR court. The client is waiting for you to decide.

You can not actually "decline" a job if you have not been officially offered the job, which you'll know is the case if you see a button allowing you to accept or decline.

Until then, the client is simply talking to you about the job.

And 4 days is not long. It may simply be the weekend for this client and he's not checking his oDesk account or email over the weekend.

"Wait" for him? Yes.

If you have answered his questions, then don't pester him.

If he send you an official job offer, then do one of three things as quickly as possible:

a) accept the job, thank him, and start working

b) decline the job, thanking him for the offer, but explaining why you must politely decline

or

c) ask for clarification if there is something you need to know or don't understand before accepting or declining the job.

jecielyn d Member Since: Oct 5, 2015
4 of 7

hi there sir,

regarding with the topic about active candidacies. i have 1 active candidadies. the client instructed me about the project and the working software even the working hours. he thank me and said that im already part of the project but there is no button showing that i should accept or decline the project. im newbie here. what should i do.,?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 7

Jecielyn,

Regarding your active candidacy question...

If you want to work for free, go ahead and do the work this client asked you to do.

But please be clear in your mind about what you're doing:

If you start working for free, without a contract in place, you are never going to be paid anything by this client

If you want to get paid, make sure that you saw a button that lets you "Accept" the hire offer, and that you subsequently saw the contract listed in your "My Jobs" tab.

If you have NOT actually been hired, you might send the client ONE note to mention that you have not seen the official Hire button sent your way. Then move on.

If the client doesn't send you the hire button immediately, he is just playing games with you, trying to trick you. Don't spend more time on this.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 7

Hi jecielyn,

I'm glad you decided to seek advice from the Community before making a mistake. No, you're not yet hired for the job and your client offered to pay outside the platform, which is a serious violation of our policy. This policy is there to keep our marketplace secure and to protect both freelancers and clients. We do ask our members to report job posts and clients offering direct payments

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have at tips and warning signs shared in this thread

If you go to Find Work > Job Applications you will be able to check whether any of your applications were accepted. Applications you see in the "Active Candidacies" section (two at the moment) have been accepted and the client would like to discuss the job further or have an interview with you, but that doesn't mean the job is awarded to you.

Don't start working without an active contract, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab. You can find more details here.

You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Hep Center. I also advise reading the best practice advice shared by other users in following threads:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
7 of 7

Well, Asif certainly takes good advice from others. As a well-rounded team player, Asif is off to a good start. Best of luck Asif with your career as a freelancer on oDesk!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS