cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active Candidacies Just Sitting There

emstrength
Ace Contributor

I'm wondering if this is a common occurance that I should get used to or if I'm doing something wrong closing the deal.

Right now I have three active candidacies, two of them nearly 2 weeks old.  We discussed the job and then..... nothing.  They haven't hired someone else or the job posting would close, right?  

Obviously all clients are different and I'm sure they get busy with other things, but on average how long do you wait to hear back from potential clients?  Should I message them? 

On a similar topic, I have 17 proposals submitted, some of them over a month old or nearly a month old.  Is that normal?

18 REPLIES 18
kat303
Community Guru

Looks like ti might be normal on this site. I have the same problem. From the reply I got, I'm gathering that a job can stay in the open status as long as the client has activity on it. By that I'm assuming that as long as a client looks at the job they posted every 28 days, it can probably stay open for months.

I have 2 jobs with proposals. 1 is open for more then 2 months. It indicates that the client looks at it every 10 to 15 days, so it stays open. There's another one like that also. it's over a month old. in the stame status.

c0nsilience
Ace Contributor

Emily,

Yep, this is fairly common.  Sometimes, situations change or client's are waiting on higher approval, funding, etc.

If something, a proposal or a candidacy, has sat "dormant" for over a month, I typically will withdraw the proposal.

This is just my personal preference, but if someone has not done anything in a month, they aren't likely to and you'll start noticing things disappearing due to being expired.

I have withdrawn proposals. 

I had 2 sitting there (that's quite the coup for me! Woman Wink ). Both were almost 2 months old. 

One client I chatted with didn't respond to my last uw chat message. I left it for a while and after a couple of weeks of no response, I withdrew the application. I wasn't really feeling our initial interaction anyway, so withdrawing wasn't a bad move in my opinion. 

The second client and I chatted for hours on Skype. She was personable, funny, friendly, and very enthusiastic about me. She told me she'd need to discuss things with her hubby and she'd get back to me. She touched based with me once in the meantime.  She is a super busy businesswoman so I wasn't put off. 

Since I really liked this client, I thought I'd send one last message asking if she decided to drop the job. She got back to me and hired me for a fixed price job after that weekend.  

The lesson here for me is, follow-ups are a useful tool. It doesn't hurt to take a chance to see if a client is still interested before withdrawing the application. Even if they say no, that isn't going to kill me. 😉 

I kind of miss seeing candadicies though. 😞 

afifield
Community Guru

Same issue here. I have about 8 jobs in interview status where I have discussed the project with them and all seemed to be going well, and then they just disappear. I've had a client disappear on me too for no reason, and he came back 3 months later and said he would like to discuss and never actually contacted me, then disappeared again. I hope it doesn't count towards my stats, as I was even in contact with support about the disappearing client. 

I don't understand why clients post jobs and then they just don't do anything with it. It would make more sense to cancel the job if they no longer need it. I think jobs should get auto cancelled if the proposal process is inactive for too long, and connects should be refunded. Not sure if that happens now. 

@Amanda F wrote:

I don't understand why clients post jobs and then they just don't do anything with it. It would make more sense to cancel the job if they no longer need it. I think jobs should get auto cancelled if the proposal process is inactive for too long, and connects should be refunded. Not sure if that happens now. 

Amanda,

One possible reason clients post jobs without hiring is that they post the same job on other sites, and end up hiring elsewhere. I like your auto cancellation idea, but unless you have a paid Upwork membership, connects don't carry over to the next month so the refunded connects may only be useful for a short period of time. The only protection I know of against this type of client is to avoid clients who have low Hire Rate.

Emily, it's normal. It happens to me also, even you withdraw your proposal your connects will not return back to you.  If client disappear or not communicating, we as freelancer should wait and bare all those frustration. We as freelancer  must be ready for better and worst because we are in a virtual world.

turbocro
Community Leader

Just ignore it and move along. You don't get any benifit from withdrawal of application so just leave it as it is. It will eventually be closed by Upwork or client itself.

lysis10
Community Guru

I don't obsess about this stuff at all. It's not good or bad for my profile or my income, so I don't pay attention to that page at all. The only thing I do is check it once a day for invites, because a few weeks ago I was invited 3 times and never got the email.

charlieecpa
Community Leader

Maybe the client posted on multiple platforms? Maybe they found someone offline?

There is no benefit to a client closing a job posting, so most don't. Imagine if you posted jobs on multiple platforms and then found someone offline. Would you really log into every platform to officially close each job? I doubt it...

I think another possible reason for the high number of unawarded jobs is that clients get scared off by the sheer volume of applicants on Upwork.

If we post a job, within 24 hours we are staring at 40+ applicants. It can be quite overwhelming for some. 

Yes, there are clients posting on both Elance and Upwork. It's frustrating when I bid and then go to the other platform and the same job is posted. lol

This will of course get sorted with the final merge.

lisawerk
Community Guru

Hi,

I'm still in the early stages of working through Upwork so I'm wondering if anyone can offer advice on how long proposals and candidacies are usually left open? I've made several proposals, and received a couple jobs, but the unanswered proposals just sat there, for the most part. I did have one person send me a nice 'thanks, but no thanks' message, which I appreciated. After awhile, I simply removed my proposal from consideration because it showed someone had been hired.

I currently have one active candidacy that still shows open but has no activity on it from the client (received the offer a week ago, which I immediately accepted through messaging - just no official contract yet). I also have 5 proposals pending, and from what I can tell they are still interviewing.

My main question is this: does it harm my stats or anything to leave these open indefinitely? Will they eventually be closed once the client chooses someone else? Do you typically leave proposals and interviews open until they are removed by the client or do you close them after awhile if you haven't heard anything?

Thanks,

Lisa

Your stats won't be affected, and if you leave them open and the client doesn't get back to you, Upwork will eventually archive them for you. I sometimes just close them myself. If you do that you will be asked why. Don't check 'unresponsive client'.There is always a chance they will get back to you.

I have had one potential client who showed an interest in my bid, and then disappeared. Weeks later, Upwork archived the candidacy. Weeks after that, the client came back, again expressing interest. I still wanted to do the job, and then I heard nothing for another few weeks, and the client has been archived again - maybe he'll come back next year! 🙂

mountainview442

My problem is not active candidacies, but proposals just sitting there waiting, some now for 2 months, with no action taken by the client who posted the job. Also, I've had several who, according to the job posting, hired someone for the job, but it is still hanging around on my list of proposals. On these, I withdraw my proposal. I know it probably doesn't matter, but I thought after someone was hired through the site, the job would be closed. I have been notified with some proposals that I wasn't chosen and the job proposal was closed. But not all. Just wondering if everyone else has the same problems. 

Also, I have one job hanging open. I completed the first part of the work, was paid and am still waiting for the next portion to be sent. The job is still open, but the client is unresponsive. 

You'll have to get used to it. Thems the breaks.

@Mike S wrote:

My problem is not active candidacies, but proposals just sitting there waiting, some now for 2 months, with no action taken by the client who posted the job. Also, I've had several who, according to the job posting, hired someone for the job, but it is still hanging around on my list of proposals. On these, I withdraw my proposal. I know it probably doesn't matter, but I thought after someone was hired through the site, the job would be closed. I have been notified with some proposals that I wasn't chosen and the job proposal was closed. But not all. Just wondering if everyone else has the same problems. 

Also, I have one job hanging open. I completed the first part of the work, was paid and am still waiting for the next portion to be sent. The job is still open, but the client is unresponsive. 

It happens to all of us, yes. I'm surprised, though, to see so many referring to it as a problem. Open proposals sitting in a list I rarely if ever look at does not interfere with me in any way. Once in a while, one of those clients will come back with an offer weeks later. Most don't. I don't pay them any attention unless they make contact. 

Totally normal.  I often review and withdraw proposals after 3 or 4 weeks.  I do believe there is a lot of window shoppers.  They are exploring with no intentions of hiring.

Just this week, I was invited to submit a proposal.  Client was looking for Expert level experience.  We chatted about the project, his objectives and needs.  I gave him a quote and the client acknowledged that it was within his expections.  Client said he would get back to me the next day.  That next day I was informed that he didn't have the money to spend and was wondering if I could do the project as a favor.  Pass.

Invited to submit Proposal.  Expert level.  Agreed pricing.  No money to spend.

Mike:

You are correct. Sometimes you get automatically notified. Sometimes you don't.

Clients are presented with a checkbox, NOT checked by default. If they check the box, then the job will be closed and all the candidates will be notified that the job has been filled when they hire a specific candidate.

Sometimes I check the box. Sometimes I don't. It depends on whether I may want to hire more people for the same job.

I never indicate that I'm seeking more than one person for the job in the posting.

But I often do. So I don't always want to close the job immediately if I hire somebody.

Personally, I always try to close the job as soon as possible when I'm done hiring. But as you have seen, not all clients do that.

mtabuena

Hello Ace!

I also feel the same way. 

Actually, this bothers me a lot lately. 

The reason why I came to this forum  to seek advice on what's the best thing to do regarding the matter.

At present, I do have 18 active candidacies ( would you believe ? )  and 2 invitations for interview.

In which, others were already "active" for  3 months now. 

I feel kinda dismayed ( disappointed ) that most of them got to interviewed me.

Done skype call, discuss the nature of the job and assignments which I thought would end

up sending me contract. They were even still on my skype contacts and did not remove me as their contact.

Those who turn down applications just remove you from their contacts after the interview.

However, to this date no update or response yet.

I even send them follow ups to show my interest on this project since I checked on their

job post and found out that they still haven't hired anyone.

I was just thinking; before with oDesk, when a client interviewed you, it will only take one week

and you will be given an update or will be served the contract already. 

Are there changes in Upwork policy regarding candidacies?

Are these clients were aware / informed that they still have active candidates which are on "pending" status?

Will they ever get to know / informed if a candidate makes a follow up?

Should I just move on applying for other job post and stop waiting for their updates / response ? 

I would greatly appreciate your piece of advice for this. 

Thanks everyone and Have a great day always!  😃 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS