🐈 Community
sterrelonge
Member

Active Contract but Unverified Payment Method-Advice Needed

Hello everyone, 

 

I am relatively new to Upwork and I have a pressing concern.

 

I started an hourly contract with a verified payment method. I worked 49:20 hours over a week and two weekends with no hassles. 

However this Monday when I looked at the contract on Upwork, it shows the client having an Active contract with me but an unverified payment method. All my previous 49:20 hours were worked with a verified payment method.

I contacted the client who informed me that his accounts team had to wait on financial statements for his cards in order to verify his payment method on Upwork. I said ok, and then worked an additional 3:50 hours in this state: Active contract, unverified payment method. 

However I had no peace in my mind working those 3:50 hours. I have no peace right now about this matter, so I decided to get advice from seasoned freelancers on this platform. 

 

I have some questions:

 

1. Am I covered under Upwork Hourly Protection if I continue to work for this client with the unverified payment method, but an Active contract?

2. How long does it take Upwork to pause a contract to let a freelancer know for sure not to continue working for a client?

3. Do you think that I will get paid for my 49:20 hours that were worked when the contract was completely good?

 

I thank you very much for your replies to my queries. 

7 REPLIES 7
petra_r
Member


@Sophia T wrote:

1. Am I covered under Upwork Hourly Protection if I continue to work for this client with the unverified payment method, but an Active contract?

2. How long does it take Upwork to pause a contract to let a freelancer know for sure not to continue working for a client?

3. Do you think that I will get paid for my 49:20 hours that were worked when the contract was completely good?

 


The most likely reason is they DID verify and theirs payment method could not be charged yesterday, so they did not pay for last week's hours...

 

1. If you logged the time correctly (with the tracker, adequate activity levels, only work related screenshots and meaningful memos) you'll be covered.

 

2. That will only happen if the client does not pay soon or resolve whatever other problem they have, in a couple of days.

 

3. See 1.

Thanks a lot Petra!

A client requires a verified payment method in order for the freelancer to be covered AS WELL AS a valid contract.  Not one or the other.  This is what the policy states.


@Mike W wrote:

A client requires a verified payment method in order for the freelancer to be covered AS WELL AS a valid contract.  Not one or the other.  This is what the policy states.


 It is weirdly worded.

There was an argument about this very matter very recently and Valeria checked and confirmed what I said.

I do usually know what I am talking about, Mike. When I am not sure I don't post.

She is covered until notified that the contract is on hold and then she can't log time anymore anyway.

 

imakeinternet
Member

Hi Sophia,

 

1. You are not covered under Upwork Hourly Protection for clients with unverified payment methods.  Cease work immediately.

 

2.  Usually if a payment method is unverified you will receive an e-mail once the system has noticed.  If you noticed this yourself simply stop working immediately.

 

3. You will be fine for the time covered previously as long as the hours were logged in the time tracker and the payment method was verified.

 

Long story short, don't work for anyone until they are verified. 

 

Good luck!

Thanks alot Mike W!


@Mike W wrote:

Hi Sophia,

 

1. You are not covered under Upwork Hourly Protection for clients with unverified payment methods.  Cease work immediately.

 

2.  Usually if a payment method is unverified you will receive an e-mail once the system has noticed.  If you noticed this yourself simply stop working immediately.

 

3. You will be fine for the time covered previously as long as the hours were logged in the time tracker and the payment method was verified.

 

Long story short, don't work for anyone until they are verified. 

 

Good luck!


 No Mike.

 

The payment method WAS verified, it showing as "not verified" means the client's account has an issue. The contract is covered until Upwork puts the client's account and the contract on hold. This is not something "the system notices" - it is something that is done either manually or when payment has been declined for X days.

 

She *IS* covered until the contract goes on hold and she is informed.

Freelancers can not be expected to check their clients' payment method every day before working.

 

As long as she worked and works STRICTLY according to the terms of the protection she IS protected. (that means all work is tracked, good activity, meaningful memos etc)

 

Learning Paths