🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Active Milestone
Page options
dennis-dup
Community Member

Active Milestone

A client created a milestone with no date deadline. Eventually, he did not need the work done due to a few arising issues. Now I have an active milestone but essentially, there is no work going on. How can I cancel the milestone on my end? How does one go about with this? Also, does an active milestone with no deadline affect JSS?

6 REPLIES 6
kat303
Community Member

Was escrow fully funded for this milestone?  Have you done Any work on this job. If you did any work, depending on how much work and how long it took, you should be paid for that. - a percentage of the total funds in relationship to the percentage of work you did.  You can, click the submit work/request payment button and at that point, you can enter an amount of what you should be paid, with the remaining amount refunded to the client. 

If escrow wasn't funded and/or you never received any work, you can close the contract since the client isn't going to give you any (more) work. When you do that any funds in escrow will go back to the client. Also, know that a contract closed with no money earned will affect your JSS  

If the client never gave you any work, a suggestion. Don't accept any offers until and unless you have the materieals, information and all questions are answered.

Hi Kathy,

I did not do any work. We discussed the task briefly then realized it wasn't possible to go ahead with the task. Purely human, just something both the client and I did not foresee. So I am wondering what should happen in such a situation.

Escrow was fully funded. I engage in a lot of ongoing work with this client once in a while, so I wouldn't prefer mostly to close the contract and more so if it will affect my JSS. 

It sounds like this is an ongoing contract, not a stand-alone one, so let's not tell him to close the contract, it is not necessary.

If money has been paid under the contract previously (on any other milestones) nothing that happens with this milestone can affect the JSS.

The neatest, and only way without closing the contract would be to get the client to release the milestone and then immediately refund it, because it is not possible to cancel a funded milestone otherwise. Or the client could just leave the funds in Escrow for the next time there is work under that contract.

I thought of leaving the funds in escrow until the next time he needs more work done but I noticed a decrease in my JSS score which is rather why I am posting here. All my other contracts are hourly and the milestone has been active for about 2 months now. So apparently leaving a milestone with no deadline open can affect JSS 😞

So I have resorted to requesting the client to release milestone then I will issue a refund. 

JoanneP

Hi Dennis,

Kathy is right. You can end the contract from your end. It is always better to discuss the project details and make sure you have everything you need to start working before accepting the offer. If you need further help, please let us know. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hello Joanne,

I do not wish to end the contract. I have been working with the client for a while now. Can I submit the milestone then refund the client? When I refund the client, will they receive 100% what they paid for and does this have an effect on JSS?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths