Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active candidacy - no reply

divljouki
Kreso N Member Since: Oct 18, 2017
1 of 8

Hello fellows,

So I have this situation here. On 24.september I had active candidacy with client after I wrote proposal. It was for logo design. He asked me to do a sample of logo if I can before we make any offer and I did that to show him my skills. He gave me guidelines for the logo shortly. I created the logo sample idea and sended him as a .JPG. Candidacy is still open but I didn't got any answers from my client yet.

I know it's not too smart to make and send the job before accepting offers but what should I do now? Should I wait or should I withdraw my proposal on this?

Thank you in front!

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
2 of 8

There's really nothing you can do. Chances are the client stole your work and moved on. There's no point in withdrawing your proposal, but there's also no way to make him pay you.

99+% of the time, when you're asked to do the job (or a piece of it) up front, the client is not here to hire anyone and is just tricking you into working for free. It's against Upwork's TOS to ask for free work, so you can and should report the job to Upwork, but that won't help you--it just may have some consequences for the client and protect future freelancers.

View solution in original post

divljouki
3 of 8

Thank you for answer and your quick reply. I'll watch out for that kind of clients in future and I'll make report. What to do now now.. life goes on. Smiley Happy There are plenty other great opportunities on UpWork.

Have a nice and beautifull day! Cheers.

paperdog
Community Leader
Grant C Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
4 of 8

Many clients want proof of skill by asking for examples.    Typically you would want to show then completed artwork examples as testimonial .  Never do the work they are requesting before a contract is signed.

As programmers go, many of us have to dodge the same problem...where they ask for sample code... and its goes beyond 'hello world".  They usually try to nick a solution (and usually in parts and pieces).  

I wont submit any work before the contract is signed. 

CONSULTS:  
SOmetimes, I throw out a bone during the initial interview (when discussing their project) as a show of good faith that I can get the work done, but I'll set the boundary, and remind the client to generate the contract.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 8

Kreso,

I believe I found the interview you are referring to and will forward the information to the team for a review. As Tiffany pointed out it's against Upwork ToS to request free work and you should make sure you have an active contract with a client before you start working on their project to make sure you get paid for your work.

~ Valeria
Upwork
divljouki
6 of 8

Thank you Valeria for taking a care of it. I really appreciate your help. Cheers! Smiley Happy

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
7 of 8

I really want to just say you should raise your rates. You have a couple of jobs in, so it's not like your sitting there with 0 job history. Your portfolio impressed me, and I rarely say that.

divljouki
8 of 8

Thank you very much for support Pandora. I appreciate it. It means to me. Smiley Happy

It's a bit hard to manage my rate according to my country standards and then it looks like I'm having a small hourly rate, but in fact, it's not that small from perspective of my country. hehe I'll try to find some middle in it according to the other profiles similar to mine.

Again, thank you all for helpin me! Have a nice and wonderfull day!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS