🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Active proposal vs. actual job
Page options
kgoetz_designs
Community Member

Active proposal vs. actual job

Hello UpWork community,

This is in regards to my first ever proposal on UpWork. I submitted a proposal for a job a couple of days ago. Today the client responded and said they would like to do a test run with me to see if my design style fits the feel of their new ecommerce store. They want to commision two designs from me for $25 a piece as the test run.

Currently the job is listed under active proposal. When I pull up the Time Tracker I do not see the job listed so that I can record my time working on it. I don't want to start working on this project until I can track the time. What is the next step that needs to be taken to move this into the correct section to ensure I actually get paid for the work I do in this "test run?"

Thank you,

Kyler G.

6 REPLIES 6
kat303
Community Member

You have to look to see when the contract becomes active./ when you can start tracking time. This happened to me a while ago, I was ready to start working but the contract and time tracker wouldn't become active for another 3 days. According to the client there was no way for them to change or put in the correct date. 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Kyler G wrote:

Hello UpWork community,

This is in regards to my first ever proposal on UpWork. I submitted a proposal for a job a couple of days ago. Today the client responded and said they would like to do a test run with me to see if my design style fits the feel of their new ecommerce store. They want to commision two designs from me for $25 a piece as the test run.

Currently the job is listed under active proposal. When I pull up the Time Tracker I do not see the job listed so that I can record my time working on it. I don't want to start working on this project until I can track the time. What is the next step that needs to be taken to move this into the correct section to ensure I actually get paid for the work I do in this "test run?"

Thank you,

Kyler G.

It sounds like you agreed to do the project for a fixed price, in which case, you can't use the time tracker. Just make sure that the escrow account has been funded before you begin the job.

m_sharman
Community Member

Did they send you an offer? An accepted offer is necessary to begin work. You then have a contract.

Hope this helps!
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kyler,

It looks like the client is yet to send you an offer for this test project. I would recommend that you ask your client to send you an offer, to make sure that you are payment protected when you start working on Upwork. 

Once your client sends you an offer, and you have accepted it, it will show up on your My Jobs page as an active contract. You also want to make sure that your client's payment method is verified when accepting an offer. When accepting an offer for a client you will see an icon that shows if the clients payment method is verified or unverified. If the payment method is unverified, this means the client has not yet added a payment method on file and any work done on a contact without a verified payment method will not be covered by payment protection. 

When communicating with a client prior to accepting the offer or staring work you can speak to them about verifying their payment as this would benefit you in having payment protections in place. 

I would recommend that you read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Kyler G wrote:

Currently the job is listed under active proposal.

That means: You weren't hired. You do not have a contract and you do no work.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Kyler G wrote:

Hello UpWork community,

Thank you,

Kyler G.

This is what could happen next:

1. the client sends you an offer, you accept, you do the work, you submit the work and click the "submit for payment" button.

2. the client is not going to send an offer but is hoping that you will deliver the work before you have an offer due to your inexperience.

There are lots of scammers out there taking advantage of inexperienced newbies. I think they fall in different categories: clients wanting to pay ridiculously little (look at their previous jobs), clients looking for a lot of free work (look at their low hiring rate), and clients with a good history who don't mind scamming the a freelancer here and there if they make it real easy for them to be scammed.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths