🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Add Portfolio Project to General Profile
Page options
danish-muneer
Community Member

Add Portfolio Project to General Profile

I created new "specialized profile". First turn off was I can only create two specialized profiles, so in total I have three profiles. Not a big deal but now I am facing an even bigger issue:

I can not add a portfolio item to my general profile. The portfolio I am trying to add doesn't relate to my two specialized profiles and should go to my general profile. But there's no way to do that. 

Currently, I see these options on portolio editor:

Capture.PNG

As you can see under specialty, my two specialized profiles are listed. Ideally, if I leave that blank the portfolio should be added to my general profile but I can't leave it blank. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

Based on the feedback from talent and data collected over time, we are seeing that requiring freelancers to attach Portfolio items with Specialized Profiles creates unnecessary barriers to completing effective profiles. We are making Related Specialized Profiles setting optional when adding portfolio items. We’re first running it as a test but planning to expand it to all talent in the following weeks

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

90 REPLIES 90
stephenbusscher
Community Member

If you have issues updating your general portfolio, take 3 minutes to skim this discussion.

It's frustrating that UpWork has not offered an alternative to creating specialized profiles in over a year of many complaints and discusssions around the topic. I'm thankful to UpWork for many things - I just want to get official clarification on why. It feels like we are being ignored.

Maybe I missed an official statement or solution around this? If so, I apologize for not being diligent enough in my search.

Hi Stephen,

It is by design that there is no option to add new portfolio items to the general profile anymore. Freelancers who do not yet have specialized profiles will not be able to create new portfolio projects until they create a specialized profile. This update/change is also to encourage users to create specialized profiles as this will allow freelancers to better customize their skills and experience. You may read more about it in this announcement. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
webvdev
Community Member

I can't seem to add any portfolio item because of a bug that asks me if I want to leave the page every time I try to go from the "select template" to the "add details" section. I have tried on three different browsers (firefox, brave and edge) and get the dialog on all of them.

Hi Deborah,

I've escalated your concern to our team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket

~ Joanne
Upwork
dezignmate
Community Member

I have face out same problem, thank you very much to mention it. I already search and read a couple of articles, but nothing get any solution, someone mentions it Upwork Support team; but when would it be fixed?

Hi Md Ibrahim,

It is by design that you need to choose the specialized profile that's in relation to the portfolio item you're adding. Once you add it, the portfolio item will also be visible from your general profile. You may check this help article for more information on how you can enhance your profile. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi All,

Based on the feedback from talent and data collected over time, we are seeing that requiring freelancers to attach Portfolio items with Specialized Profiles creates unnecessary barriers to completing effective profiles. We are making Related Specialized Profiles setting optional when adding portfolio items. We’re first running it as a test but planning to expand it to all talent in the following weeks

~ Valeria
Upwork

Valeria—If I understand correctly, you are (finally!) in beta for allowing portfolio items to be linked to the main profile only and not to one of our (two, max) specialized profiles. Can I PLEASE be placed into the beta pool? I have been dying to be able to add portfolio items to my main profile only, as my other two are... like the name says, specialized.  🙂 

Thanks,

Kelly

Hi Kelly,

I appreciate your interest! We can't add people to the test, unfortunately. But I'll provide an update here if or when this option becomes available to all talent.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Okay. Thanks anyway!

d_korolkov
Community Member

Impossibility of changing portfolio's item relation to another Specialized Profile through the time is very awkward decision of the UX team.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths