Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add "Illegal" to the list of reasons for flagging a project as inappropriate

Highlighted
Max D Member Since: Nov 15, 2012
1 of 24

Hi everyone,

Sometimes projects turn out to be not quite in accord with legislations of different countries. It might be a good idea to add "illegal" as a reason for flagging a project as inappropriate.

What do you think?

(Please feel free to move the message if it's in a wrong place.)

Best regards,

Max

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 24
Max, the problem with that is:
What you think is illegal is actually quite legal elsewhere. And the things you think are perfectly fine, many of the things you yourself do every day, are quite illegal somewhere else.

Everything is illegal somewhere.

Because oDesk reaches a global audience, it is impossible to declare something is illegal or legal.

But oDesk has a set of standards... It's terms of use (TOS), it's policies. You can flag something as inappropriate because it violates oDesk's policies. You should think of oDesk's policies as the real laws which govern the site, and not try to ascribe the local laws of the town, state, nation, civic group, ethnicity, church, social class, etc. that you live in or are a part of to the job postings that you see.

You should realize that there many laws in your country that the rest of the world not only does not have, but it actually laughs at your country for having. The same can be said for my country, and every other country.

Absolutely, you should feel free to apply your own moral code and/or your local municipal or federal laws as a filter for deciding which laws you personally apply to and accept. But it isn't necessary for you to flag a job posting as illegal which is not illegal for me.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Scott M Member Since: Nov 27, 2014
3 of 24

"Because oDesk reaches a global audience, it is impossible to declare something is illegal or legal."

Actually, it's not impossible. oDesk is an American owned business and it resides here in the USA. Mountain View, California to be specific. They should absolutely be going by US law, and what is deemed illegal by law should be held as illegal on the platform.

I second the motion for an "Illegal" flag. I've seen tons of illegal crap being posted on this site. I flag them whenever I can and even use the Live Chat option to report when something is really bad.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 24
Scott, keep in mind that the original poster lives in Russia.

Saying something "is illegal" is different than saying something "is illegal in Mountain View, California."

But to a broader point... You said that what is illegal in Mountain View should be deemed illegal on oDesk.

Why? How does that approach benefit oDesk, its clients, its shareholders, it's contractors, and society as a whole?

If the tiny town of Mountain View bans JavaScript, should oDesk do the same? This may seem like a ridiculous example, but the truth is there are many, many things that are illegal in Mountain View which are quite legal in other towns, states or countries. I believe oDesk should decide what is appropriate for job listings on its site, not the town of Mountain View. After all, oDesk merely facilities communications between business entities. The work that is done by contractors is not actually done in Mountain View.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Scott M Member Since: Nov 27, 2014
5 of 24

You have a bad habit of picking up little bits of posts and then blowing up on them, don't you?

oDesk has a poor moral standing when it comes to "illegal" activities that are posted through this site. Anything to do with hacking, cracking, reverse engineering or similar should be immediately flagged when the client goes to post the project. Just because it may be legal in some little 3rd world country doesn't make it OK to be posted here. Just because the work may be performed in a place where it is 'legal' does not mean it is right to post an advertisement for it in a place where it allows anyone, no matter the legality in their region, can perform the "job".

I'm pretty certain that you know exactly what the OP and I meant but, you took off you your own little excursion as if Mountain View was the point of the conversation at hand.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 24

Scott,

No offense meant.

Freel free to re-read my statement while substituing "the United States" for Mountain View. The same philosophy applies.

ODesk has clearly stated policies of its own which prohibit the activities you mention: hacking, cracking, reverse engineering.

But many of these are NOT actually illegal according to local, state or federal laws governing Odesk.

I support oDesk's prohibition of these types of activities. But this is exactly my point: ODesk's policies should not be constrained by local/regional legalities.

I think what you are seeing is job postings that violate oDesk's policies, rather than a company which doesn't have such policies. It is difficult to police all the job postings, but contractors can help do so by flagging jobs which are inappropriate.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
7 of 24

I would like to be able to flag posts as illegal too. Whatever is against oDesk's TOS, is illegal in oDesk land so to speak. It shouldn't be country or region specific, but adhere to the policy as laid out in the user agreement and terms of services. It is in oDesk's best interest to create descriptive flagging labels as it streamlines the effort on the backend and helps oDesk staff to prioritize appropriately.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 24

I fully support Krisztina's suggestion. This is a good way of doing it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
9 of 24

Along with illegal, there should be one for at least immoral ones - specificall I'm thinking academic cheating, and requests for academic articles and theses to be written. The job lists are riddled with them at the moment.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
10 of 24

Academic cheating is technically against the TOS, it's just that oDesk staff seems to struggle with understanding their own policies.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS