Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add "Illegal" to the list of reasons for flagging a project as inappropriate

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
11 of 24
"oDesk staff seems to struggle with understanding their own policies."
This is not a joke or an exaggeration (not that you meant it as one). This is literally true.
ODesk staff consists of a small number of full time regular workers, supplemented by hundreds of remote contractors, most of whom are low-skill data entry/customer support type workers. Many of them possess only a rudimentary understanding of the English language, and many are just in the beginning stages of learning how oDesk works and what oDesk's policies are.

This is not a criticism. This is a recognition of an economic reality. Many people clamor for better customer service and faster response by oDesk to things such as inappropriate job postings, but those things cost money and resources.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
12 of 24

@Preston H wrote:
"oDesk staff seems to struggle with understanding their own policies."
This is not a joke or an exaggeration (not that you meant it as one). This is literally true.
ODesk staff consists of a small number of full time regular workers, supplemented by hundreds of remote contractors, most of whom are low-skill data entry/customer support type workers. Many of them possess only a rudimentary understanding of the English language, and many are just in the beginning stages of learning how oDesk works and what oDesk's policies are.

This is not a criticism. This is a recognition of an economic reality. Many people clamor for better customer service and faster response by oDesk to things such as inappropriate job postings, but those things cost money and resources.

Preston,

I think with the money that oDesk made last year they can afford to pay their customer service and train them better. I know two years ago they were advertising on oDesk for Customer Service People and they were paying $3.00 an hour. I wonder sometimes if this is why they only raised the limit on hourly to $3.00 an hour so they didn't have to pay more then they already were for CSR.

For the kind of money they save paying slave wages they could spend a little of that million some dollars they made last year on at least training them better. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
13 of 24

Thanks for the suggestion Max. As noted by Preston, this is a tricky one. We will share the feedback however. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
14 of 24
I guess if we can't flag jobs for being immoral or illegal, an option should at least be there for those which are against oDesk TOS etc. Maybe name that field OTHER and have an option to type the reason..

The bigger problem is still this ------> does flagging a job really do anything to it AT ALL?

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Scott M Member Since: Nov 27, 2014
15 of 24

I really doubt that flagging does anything at all. Here's my reasoning..

How long does crap like this stay up after being flagged (I ticked every box) and then contacting Live Chat, giving them the direct link to the post? They said they "may have missed one" when removing flagged posts yet, this "job" remains in place.

Highlighted
Community Guru
16 of 24
I totally understand if some of you guys are frustrated at seeing bad job posts and feeling like oDesk has been unresponsive in removing them.

But MY OWN experience is that I have personally flagged dozens of job posts as inappropriate and I have seen those jobs removed, often within minutes.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
17 of 24

That's very good to hear oDesk takes you seriously Preston. In my experience, I've flagged job post and invites, talked to support, provided screenshots of clients asking me to work outside the platform etc and guess what? Those clients are still here and STILL posting jobs violating the TOS.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
18 of 24

Hi Scott,

Thank you for reporting that job posting. It has been removed from the marketplace.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
19 of 24

I've made the same experience of blatantly fraudulent jobs and profiles just sitting there for days despite the fact of everybody agreeing it needs to be removed. Which isn't too say that I never saw anything removed, but the pace is unacceptably slow and unreliable. In fact, it once took them three weeks to remove a completely fraudulent portfolio and after they informed me that it was finally removed, I checked out the profile, and it was still there as if nothing happened, so it took another two week until it was fixed, which means from flagging to resolution it took several tickets and 5 weeks. It sounds like an exception, but it's actually the norm.

Highlighted
Community Guru
20 of 24
I believe it is quite possible that the kinds of violations that I like to flag, and the kinds of violations that Krisztina and Dianne have often flagged, are different specific violations or areas of concern. Maybe what I am flagging is easier for oDesk customer support/staffer people to understand and recognize as violations, whereas Dianne and Krisztina have flagged more nuanced problems that require a greater level of English language comprehension to comprehend.

I don't think oDesk takes my flags more seriously than the flagging done by other contractors.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS