cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Clients to Chat Rooms

Ace Contributor
Ivy F Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
1 of 19

I posted this as part of a response in another thread, and then realized I could really use some answers, so it might be worth its own thread.

I have a lot of complaints about the new chat system and won't get into them all, but specifically I wanted to write because today I accidentally added a client into another client's "room" -- whatever that is.

I feel that this shouldn't be possible without at least a confirmation step, or probably an approval from the "room" creator. Now I have to apologize to one client for the confusion -- why was he added to this chat -- and another client for confusion and a potential breach of privacy!

Can the new client see all my past conversations with the "room" creator? We weren't, but we could have been discussing confidential information, and it's crazy that you can accidentally add someone to that type of discussion with a few clicks. (Trust me, it was easier to do than you'd think. I was just trying to click outside of a selection area.)

Can I remove the new client from the room? If it's possible, it's not intuitive; I searched all over the page.

Can I delete the room? I hid it while trying to delete it...

If I cannot remove the new client, how can the "room" creator continue a conversation with me without the new client reading all our messages? The "room" creator and I were still discussing terms for a project. I see if he hires me, a new "room" can be made, but we still have some negotiation to go before we get to the hiring stage. And I don't want to include the new client on this negotiations, not at all.

EDIT TO ADD: The client I accidentally added to the room confirmed he could read my entire past conversation in the room (not sure if he could download files that were included there). Luckily, we weren't discussing anything confidential, but I think this really shouldn't be so easy to do -- there should at least be a confirmation step, or the earlier client should have to confirm the entry of the new room participant.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
2 of 19

I'm a little surprised that a calm description of and questions about real problems—as distinct from likes and dislikes—with client communications and confidentiality have not been addressed by Upwork staff,

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
3 of 19

Wow. I wonder if Upwork could get in legally woes for this.

Also, 12 hours later and no acknowledgement of this thread!!!

@ Ivy,

I hope this did not cost you the project?

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
4 of 19

Ivy,

The Message Center has the ability to add other people into a group conversation. You would click the group icon at the top, and then you would have to type in the person's name to add them to the room. 

Pasted File at July 23, 2015 10-16 AM.png

To answer your questions:

Can the new client see all my past conversations with the "room" creator? 

When you add someone to a room, yes they can see the rest of the conversation because they have now been added to that conversation. 

Can I remove the new client from the room? f I cannot remove the new client, how can the "room" creator continue a conversation with me without the new client reading all our messages?

You can not remove them from the room, however I believe your client who created the room can manage the room members.  If not they can create a new 1:1 room with you. If the client has any issues direct them to CS and they can help you. 

Can I delete the room? 

The ability to delete rooms is something we plan to roll out in the future. 

-Lena

Untitled
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
5 of 19
Thanks for the reply Lena, but you have in no way addressed the OP's concerns.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
6 of 19

Just reading this thread makes my head spin and bring to mind certain tea parties. In fact, Lewis Carroll has nothing on Upwork.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
7 of 19

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
8 of 19

"You can not remove them from the room"

Hmm, OK. Any idea when this will be fixed?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
9 of 19

@fergus M wrote:

Hmm, OK. Any idea when this will be fixed?

Hmmmm. Maybe around the time they will start providing proper invoices? As Garnor revealed today: maybe in a couple of months? But maybe not. Definitely not in the near future. 

Who needs invoices anyway? The clients and providers that have been asking for it for weeks now - they should probably just relax. Nobody wants to pay taxes anyway, right?

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
10 of 19

"Maybe around the time they will start providing proper invoices?"

I'm literally staggered that the site can't do that. But hey, you're right. Who needs invoices when we can have badges instead?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS