cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Clients to Chat Rooms

Ace Contributor
Ivy F Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
11 of 19

@Setu -- Ha, no, my quite reasonable rates cost me the project. The last message the room client sent, which the client I accidentally added got to see, was being rejected for offering a (discounted) rate "far away from our budget".

@Lena -- Thanks for the reply. It sounds like the answer to all my questions were what I feared! The new room joiner has access to all this past information, which could be confidential; he cannot be removed, so he has access to any conversation going forward; and there's not even a way to delete the room.

It sounds like the last will eventually be fixed, but how would that help this situation, where the room was created by a client responding to my proposal? They would delete the room (if the client understood) and then respond to my proposal again (if they weren't too upset)?

Could it be possible to add an option to confirm you want to add someone, or to have all members of the room, or the room creator, confirm?

Also, I did not add the client in the manner you described. What you are describing does sound like there are several more steps, which is good, but I had selected a client and was looking at the popup box that appears when you select a client's name. There's an option there to "Add to Group Room", and when I hovered on it my connection lagged, I clicked away to close the window, and right before I clicked a window appeared with a list of rooms to add the client to. Thus a client I enjoyed working with joined a room to see me get rejected by another client, and there was nothing I could do to prevent it.

It seems that an option to remove people from rooms should also be introduced, and is maybe more important than deleting rooms, if we're going to have to use this chat room feature. What if I were collaborating with a client who was working with multiple contractors, and then later on one of the contractors was removed from the project? We would have to create an entire new room and lose access to all the old content just because we want to exclude one of the contractors?

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
12 of 19

@Ivy F wrote:

It seems that an option to remove people from rooms should also be introduced, and is maybe more important than deleting rooms, if we're going to have to use this chat room feature. What if I were collaborating with a client who was working with multiple contractors, and then later on one of the contractors was removed from the project? We would have to create an entire new room and lose access to all the old content just because we want to exclude one of the contractors?

Ivy, you are asking too many questions. You are quickly becoming a nuisance to Upwork staff, showing up their ineptitude. Your simple but logical questions are deconstructing an ill conceived, poorly implemented, untested, chat room system that lacked of due diligence, but somehow was agreed upon by many brilliant people working together for months on it.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
13 of 19

"an ill conceived, poorly implemented, untested, chat room system"

Or maybe simply that they replaced the messaging system with a chatroom system in the first place..

Ace Contributor
Ivy F Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
14 of 19

Ha, well I don't mean to draw that sort of attention to myself. I'll admit that what happened to me with my clients is unlikely to happen to most of us, but a few errant clicks and there it was! 

Ace Contributor
Mohammad Ahmad A Member Since: Jan 27, 2017
15 of 19

3 years later and the concern is still valid and the issue is still there! I just noticed it - that's crazy really!

max a Member Since: Jan 30, 2017
16 of 19

I guess another year passed and the issue is still there. I believe I have just disclosed unwanted information to a contractor by adding him to an active room.  I have just added a member to the room, I was very sure that he won't be able to see the messages, then I have found this forum and removed him in the next minute.  I am sure he was offline during this happened. But I still have concern if he is still able to see the past conversations and yes there is no way to delete the entire room, UNACCEPTABLE. 

Hope to hear soon from someone who knows if I disclosed anything unintentionally. 

Kalleheikki K Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
17 of 19

I just did this as well, and no idea how. I didn't go through any steps to do so, it must have either been a drag-and-drop or some keyboard combination that added another client to a completely disrelated client's message thread. I did find a way to remove them within minutes, but this should not be possible to be done accidentally and without any confirmation!

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
18 of 19

Hi Kalleheikki,

Please send me screenshot of the room you're referring to and contract and client details, so I can take a look at the process you described. Thanks.

Kalleheikki K Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
19 of 19

Hi,

Here's a screen shot of the result in the online message room.
Unfortunately I have no idea how the client got added, although I suspect
the messaging app was involved rather than the online system.

The active message thread is with [the first name on list] and the person that
was added is the next one down the list, [the second name]. I definitely didn't
go through the "add person", "select name" procedure.

I might have accidentally drag and dropped or used a keyboard combination
of some sort, but I really don't know.

Best regards, Kalle

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS